replacement neck for Squier Vintage Modified '70s Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Erwin, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

Hi,

I hope it is ok to post this here, as I don't seem to find a better place where this will fit in.

About a year ago I got a brand new black Vintage Modified '70s Stratocaster. and I really love it except for one thing: it's missing the 22nd fret. Well missing. It's never been there. I've looked around and can't seem to find a replacement all maple neck with 22 frets and a big headstock that doesn't cost more than the whole guitar cost.

I would not mind to get one with a 12' radius fret board but that is not essential 9.5 is ok.
    Just to be clear I want this for me as it is the only thing that is missing on the guitar.

It seems to be a thing with Fender that you can only get 22 frets on the more expensive strats and the cheaper ones only get 21 where as for tele's almost all of them seem to have 22 frets.

regards Erwin

Doug 54 likes this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  3. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

What strings do you use the 22nd fret on? I saw a guitar once and the player screwed a fret wire sized bracket type thing to the pickguard where the 22nd fret should go on the B and E and although it looked ugly it did the job. Seen them squeezed onto the very end of the neck too.

Or there’s this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric...le-22-Fret-Dot-Inlay-Unfinished-/122441628430

Hopefully big enough to get the big CBS headstock.

4. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

5. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Quick question... on that page, they write "New addition to our range of necks - the large headstock model as found on CBS made Fenders of the 1970's. We've stayed true to that period with a 12" radius fretboard, medium jumbo frets with a 22nd fret overhang."

Just out of curiosity, that's not right, is it? Surely, the standard in the 70s was 9.5?

EDIT: And of course I meant 7.25... duh!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  6. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

I saw that too; the Deluxe Tele with big Strat headstock was 12” I believe. The AV70’s and Classic Series 70’s Strats are both 7.25”, or at least were.

The OP could try this:
    http://brawerguitarrepair.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/adding-22nd-fret-to-21-fret-strat.html

Erwin, Bristlehound and Seasicksailor like this.
  7. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

I just looked it up and seemingly they used 9.5” in 1950-52, then 7.25” with the exception of the 12” Tele Deluxe until they launched the American Standard in 1987 which had a 9.5” board. No idea if they’d do one off custom radii in between or not. I assume they had some kind of custom shop back in the day; Bob Dylan’s Strat at Budokan in 1978 had bird wings or something for inlays (never found a good enough photo to see exactly what they are!), unless he got them done elsewhere.

8. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

Thanks for the links Marty, Seems that I need to hone my searching skills a bit.
    Stangely but for me they show $128 and $90 for the prices.

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

The first link I googled Ebay.UK and the 2nd one I used the US Ebay. The shipping cost is determined by clicking on the country it ships to. I think it converts to your monetary system.

Pierce likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.