Replacement neck for Affinity tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by gip111, Jun 19, 2021.

1. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

I've been tempted to change the neck on one of my Affinity teles. Like to get something a bit wider and beefier, is that considered vintage? In any case it would have to fit into the body as the original. Just wondered what has been used that won't break the bank.

vhilts1 likes this.
  2. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Warmoth Musikraft MJT AllParts WD Music
    Best Guitar Parts Guitar Mill etc etc

then of course numerous Chinese outlets

I know this goes against the tinkering mindset often prevalent here but for about $2000 or less you can buy the very best parts available top to bottom and put together a STUNNING guitar with a screwdriver and a soldering iron

3. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I have an Affinity Tele as a beater and agree that the neck is really a bit too slim and narrow (and I like slim necks). I do not know if the bolt pattern is identical to all other Fender and Fender-style necks, however. IMO, the cost of a genuinely decent neck, whether used or bought from Warmoth, etc., is likely to be more than is wise to pay given the minimal value of an Affinity. A better neck would be by far the most valuable part of the guitar!

4. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

Exactly! That's why I mentioned the "won't break the bank" comment. I certainly won't pay more for a neck than the worth of an Affinity.

5. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

It might be a different way of thinking, but please hear me out.

If you decide what the maximum amount is you want to pay, you could get a more expensive guitar that fits your wishes and sell the Affinity. As long as the "repacement" guitar doesn't cost more than the value of your Affinity and what you were willing to pay for a new neck, this might be an option. You will get a better guitar (and not just the neck).

An Affinity with a new neck wouldn't be worth much, but a used Fender tele keeps its value pretty well.

Boreas likes this.
  6. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

Im seing this thread taking a wrong turn. Dont get me wrong, I totally appreciate all the replies and comments and to some it makes sense to just go and spend $$$ or $2000 as someone mentioned on the "one" you like, to me it does not. Financially is not a problem but my level of playing doesn't require or need such an expensive guitar at the moment. So it's not about $ but more of what makes sense to me and since I do like the Affinity teles I own, which btw I only paid $100 for each, spending another 100 or 150 (if there is such thing) on the neck Im looking for, puts me in the $200-$250 range total for a guitar that suits me just fine. I probably should have posted in the Parcaster Forum.
    Again, I appreciate all the comments.

koopus likes this.
  7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

What I’m interested in is whether a “standard” Tele neck fits the affinity body. I got a Tele neck from Solo Music Gear in Canada for 79$ Canadian - obviously Chinese origin, but to Solo’s specs, so it was pretty good. It did need a bit of levelling, and the fret ends files, but that’s not uncommon for many aftermarket necks - especially in the lower price range. Nut is plastic, but remarkably well cut (I’ll probably replace it tho). It’s going on a cheap Muselady body and I had to sand the neck pocket to make it fit, but it might drop right in a Squier body.

It’s cheap, but serviceable and feels more substantial and Tele like than an Affinity neck.

https://www.solomusicgear.com/product/solo-tc-style-guitar-neck-maple-maple-fb/

8. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

You can totally get a good neck for your Affinity for less than $200. You just have to look on eBay. I found a Fender ‘51 U shape fat neck for my cv Tele. It was mounted by the previous owner, who found it to be too fat for him. I found a lot of either Chinese necks, or Squier necks all around 150 bucks. Good luck.

9. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

Thanks. I'm interested in knowing if someone has done the neck swap with an Affinity. I've ran into a few under $150 on line but Im concerned about the fit and from personal experiences.

10. rxmoore

rxmoore NEW MEMBER!

I, too, would love to do a neck swap on the Affinity I just upgraded. Guitar Fetish has what they call "import spec" necks for teles starting at about 50 bucks.

I know that GF gets some mixed reviews, and I have no experience with their necks and bodies, only their hardware and pickups (The aforementioned Affinity has a set of their Fullerton pickups, which sound great, and a GF bridge that I used for a string-through conversion). Their claim these necks are a "perfect fit" for Squier guitars should be viewed with some caution. That said, I'd appreciate it if someone were to try them out and report back on their findings. If enough time goes by, that someone may possibly be me.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Lido-Necks_c_1127.html

11. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Will a Bullet tele neck fit on an Affinity? The neck on my Squier Bullet Tele is pretty chunky, and the whole guitar is only $170 or so, $120 when they’re on sale.

12. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 Tele-Meister

Found this guy on Reverb. All parts necks which he touches up. Prices are decent. I got one for my Affinity & I’m happy with it) 1E3467CE-B2D7-4EC7-89E0-EB646C4B2ACF.jpeg

13. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

These would definitely work for me. Got excited for a moment till I found they are all out of stock, what the ....! People staying home for too long buying guitars and parts I guess.
    But anyway, I'll keep checking. Thanks!

14. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Hunt down some old Squier 51 necks. Some of 'em are real chunky, but the shallowest will still be way heftier than your affinity neck. The old affinity bodies were thinner than your regular tele, so were the 51s, though different shape. Their necks fitted on affinities without any problem.
    Long time no see member Voided3, our resident slide expert did just that:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-joys-of-cheap-gear.331114/#post-4214713"

bls82261 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.