1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Replacement neck for a Squire Paranormal?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by John Frets, Apr 14, 2021.

1. John Frets

John Frets TDPRI Member

I know little about Squiers. I very recently bought a Paranormal Offset Telecaster. I wanted to try out a telecaster in a jazzmaster body. I am looking for more comfort when playing seated. I like the guitar, but I think the neck might be too slim and narrow, and I am thinking about replacing it.

I have two questions:

Will the Squier’s neck pocket, neck plate, and four screw holes for attaching the neck be an exact match a good Fender or third party replacement neck?

Is all the hardware on the Squier metric?​

Boreas likes this.
  2. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

In my experience MOST Squier bodies will take a Fender/Warmoth/All parts neck without an issue.

dpang2836 likes this.
  3. Kungpow!

Kungpow! Tele-Meister

Sounds like you need a new body

dpang2836 likes this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The neck "should" fit. Any neck swap may require a few adjustments.

Yes, parts will typically be metric on a Squier.

I don't think I would bother putting an expensive neck on a Squier. In the long run, you would likely be better off by buying a new guitar that suits you. May even be a Squier with a neck you like.

dpang2836 likes this.
  5. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

6. John Frets

John Frets TDPRI Member

Thank you all for your replies.

I’m still seriously considering a replacement neck. Maybe I can sell the existing neck for a bargain price, too. I’m also boning up on doing proper setups.

I like telecaster tone, but I think that I prefer the Jazzmaster body. Compared to a telecaster, its edges are rounder, and it has a forearm contour and a belly cut. Because of where its waist is in relation to the bridge, it puts my right arm more behind the bridge when I am sitting down. Because of all that, it is more comfortable.

This Squier gave me a chance to try out the combination over a longer duration, and now I think it can provide a platform for an overhaul– neck, tuners, bridge, and probably pickups and maybe wiring sometime later.

I also really like surf green.

Anyone have recommendations for where to get a decent wider and chunkier neck with a radius around 9.5 inches? It doesn’t have to be finished.

EDIT: Using the search utility, I have discovered that there are plenty of existing threads about where to get replacement necks. Still, if anyone wants to chime in, go ahead.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  7. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

Love my paranormal tele and just got a set of Zex coils to make it happy. Last squire I had was awesome after I installed these and shielded the spaces. Super easy to do and big difference in sound but you have to want that “hollow” type of sound. I like it, others don’t. Matter of taste for sure. Love the way the jazz master sits on my leg as I play but haven’t really played with others in a year so we’ll see...

Bongoslade likes this.
  8. Bongoslade

Bongoslade TDPRI Member

love the shape of the Jazz Master - nice curves - my neck is a thin C shape which i prefer to the beefier necks.
    i'm putting some mods on my Squire Paranormal Offset Telecaster. why not i say.
    ifn it's what you want - get it
    we are all doing this music thing - to quote FZ "... because it amuses me."
    so - amuse yourself some more.
    someone said in a post "... it's not the mods , it's the pedals."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.