Replacement neck for a Squire Paranormal?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by John Frets, Apr 14, 2021.

1. John Frets

John Frets TDPRI Member

I know little about Squiers. I very recently bought a Paranormal Offset Telecaster. I wanted to try out a telecaster in a jazzmaster body. I am looking for more comfort when playing seated. I like the guitar, but I think the neck might be too slim and narrow, and I am thinking about replacing it.

I have two questions:

Will the Squier’s neck pocket, neck plate, and four screw holes for attaching the neck be an exact match a good Fender or third party replacement neck?

Is all the hardware on the Squier metric?​

Boreas likes this.
  2. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

In my experience MOST Squier bodies will take a Fender/Warmoth/All parts neck without an issue.

dpang2836 likes this.
  3. Kungpow!

Kungpow! Tele-Meister

Sounds like you need a new body

dpang2836 likes this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The neck "should" fit. Any neck swap may require a few adjustments.

Yes, parts will typically be metric on a Squier.

I don't think I would bother putting an expensive neck on a Squier. In the long run, you would likely be better off by buying a new guitar that suits you. May even be a Squier with a neck you like.

dpang2836 likes this.
  5. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

6. John Frets

John Frets TDPRI Member

Thank you all for your replies.

I’m still seriously considering a replacement neck. Maybe I can sell the existing neck for a bargain price, too. I’m also boning up on doing proper setups.

I like telecaster tone, but I think that I prefer the Jazzmaster body. Compared to a telecaster, its edges are rounder, and it has a forearm contour and a belly cut. Because of where its waist is in relation to the bridge, it puts my right arm more behind the bridge when I am sitting down. Because of all that, it is more comfortable.

This Squier gave me a chance to try out the combination over a longer duration, and now I think it can provide a platform for an overhaul– neck, tuners, bridge, and probably pickups and maybe wiring sometime later.

I also really like surf green.

Anyone have recommendations for where to get a decent wider and chunkier neck with a radius around 9.5 inches? It doesn’t have to be finished.

EDIT: Using the search utility, I have discovered that there are plenty of existing threads about where to get replacement necks. Still, if anyone wants to chime in, go ahead.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  7. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

Love my paranormal tele and just got a set of Zex coils to make it happy. Last squire I had was awesome after I installed these and shielded the spaces. Super easy to do and big difference in sound but you have to want that “hollow” type of sound. I like it, others don’t. Matter of taste for sure. Love the way the jazz master sits on my leg as I play but haven’t really played with others in a year so we’ll see...

Bongoslade likes this.
  8. Bongoslade

Bongoslade Tele-Meister

love the shape of the Jazz Master - nice curves - my neck is a thin C shape which i prefer to the beefier necks.
    i'm putting some mods on my Squire Paranormal Offset Telecaster. why not i say.
    ifn it's what you want - get it
    we are all doing this music thing - to quote FZ "... because it amuses me."
    so - amuse yourself some more.
    someone said in a post "... it's not the mods , it's the pedals."

9. cap51

cap51 NEW MEMBER!

I own a paranormal and the heel width is not the normal 2 3/16" It's real skinny at less than 2 1/8"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.