1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Replacement Control Plate & Electronics for SX ST Ash

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by joe.attaboy, Apr 21, 2021.

1. joe.attaboy

joe.attaboy TDPRI Member

Greetings, all;

I've re-adopted an SX (Vintage Series) ST Ash Tele from a relative. I gave him the guitar some years ago (he was playing a lot more than me at the time) and it's apparently been hanging on his wall as decoration for about eight years.

I was replacing the strings, cleaning up the body and neck, and doing general maintenance on it when I decided to remove the control plate and check out the electronics. As you would expect from Chinese-made instrument of this vintage, the quality is so-so at best. The solder joints were haphazard, so I spent a bit resoldering some weak spots.

Anyway, it got me thinking about upgrading. I know these guitars tend to not be standard in many ways, so I was seeking some advice about replacing the plate and the electronics with a drop-in replacement. I saw a few items from 920D on Amazon that looked perfect, but I'm concerned about fit. The distance between the mounting holes is 6 inches and the pocket depth looks to be about 1 9/32" deep.

Before I drop any money on this, I wanted to see if anyone here had done this kind of upgrade and if there's any issues I need to know beforehand. I would also be interested in any advice about replacement pickups, if anyone has done that as well. Any suppliers or vendors you worked with would be especially helpful

Thanks for reading and responding.

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Try as hard as you can to get some kind of mechanical drawings on whatever you are interested in.
    If it is billed as a Tele replacement part, they made it to fit in as many stock Teles as possible.

joe.attaboy likes this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Also measure the width of your control plate, as this affects the fit of the plate in the pickguard's cutout. Most are 32mm wide, like Fender's, but for some reason many of the aftermarket plates out there are 34mm wide.

If the two mounting screw holes don't align perfectly, that's OK. You can easily plug one or both of the holes with pieces of toothpick, matchstick, etc., and re-drill them.

joe.attaboy likes this.
  4. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I have had 4 SX "teles" that I used to build Esquire clones. Fitted new CTS pots and Fender switches to them. I redrilled the pot mounting holes in the mounting plate to enlarge them slightly for CTS pots but otherwise it was fine. May have done some slight filing on pickguard cutout for better fit in a couple of cases. Only other thing is I had to deepen the switch cavity in the bodies for switch clearance.........and reshaped headstocks to "proper" T shape.

These SX "teles" make good project platforms - especially the older ones with the full thickness bodies.

5. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

The only problem I've had with an older SX body is having to keep the stock bridge plate due to the ferrules in the back being a weird stagger and the mounting holes not matching up with any other plate, including another SX of about the same year. I didn't want to have to plug and redrill 9 holes, so just did a "bubba" mod to convert to a 3-saddle bridge. It's worked out surprisingly well. All other mods and replacement parts fit fine.

joe.attaboy likes this.
  6. joe.attaboy

joe.attaboy TDPRI Member

I appreciate all the replies and suggestions. This should work OK.

I'm glad I got this instrument back.

7. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

String thru is highly overrated ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.