1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Replace Wilkinson nut? Or replace entire neck on Strat Plus Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rsilverst, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Got Twang

Got Twang TDPRI Member

I've had my 1989 Strat Plus Black Pearl Mist since new. I actually like the roller nut. I put a drop of oil on it now and then and my tuning is very stable. I did block the trem with a piece of rosewood. The neck and middle pickups are the gold Lace Sensors, and I put a hotter red one in the bridge position. Everyone says it's my best guitar.

Chuckster likes this.
  2. rsilverst

rsilverst TDPRI Member

OK - I have a happy ending to the story. I've replaced the Wilkinson nut with an LSR nut, which solves my "this nut is ugly" problem. The LSR installation was SIMPLE!

I also discovered what the problem was with playability. The action was way too high. I have this guitar set up with the tremolo floating, and the action was like 8/64" instead of 4/64" -- I think that'll make it seem less playable!! I had to adjust the saddles and the neck angle a hair, because the low E was still too high even with the saddle bottomed out (probably because of the floating tremolo, even though it's not floating that high (set so that pitch changes by a minor third between float and flat). Now I've got the action, neck angle, and pickup heights dialed in, plus the new nut -- and I think this one is as good as you all said it should be! I also gave it some new black pickup covers as a little makeover.

Zepfan and Chuckster like this.
  3. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Coming into this late... glad you got it sorted out.

I love my '89 Deluxe (triple golds)
    20201208_172319.jpg

Best guitar I own, no question. Bought it in '98 for $400.

rsilverst likes this.
  4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Glad you got it sorted! I've had a '91 Strat Plus for almost 30 years and still love it. Other than replacing the Lace Sensors, it's all original. The Wilkinson rolling nut and TBX tone control used to annoy me but now I appreciate the functionality they provide.

Just my biased $.02, but I think the Strat Plus era was a big improvement over most of the the 70-80s Fenders and wasn't significantly improved on until the American Professional series.

rsilverst likes this.
  5. rsilverst

rsilverst TDPRI Member

I also completely rewired the guitar, and now I think it is really dialed in. It already had 2 push/pull knobs, and I am still using those, but now I am happier with the combinations available. I implemented the "Strat Lover's Other Strat" modification that's been posted online in the past. With both switches in their "IN" (off) state, the guitar is essentially a stock Stratocaster, except it has master tone control (0.033uF on Tone 2 knob). If you pull the volume knob, it puts the bridge pickup in series with whatever else is selected. It also switches to a 0.01uF tone capacitor and uses Master Tone 1. If you pull the 2nd knob, it puts the bridge pickup out of phase with whatever else is selected. There is also a treble bleed capacitor on the volume control. Also I am using 250k on all pots, since that's what I had in there, and there is *no shortage* of treble available, so I'm not concerned about that.

Here are some diagrams of it:

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 11.02.13 AM.png

Here's what the circuit simplifies to when the switches are both in:

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 11.02.47 AM.png

Here's what the circuit simplifies to when the volume knob is out:

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 11.03.04 AM.png

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.