replace hot water heater prophylactically?

Maricopa

Friend of Leo's
I just replaced ours. No leaks etc but it was running out of hot sooner than it should have.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
You guys replace your hot water heaters ahead of time? I remember when my last one went bad and it was not fun. I guess give it 20 years and replace no mater what? Prophylactically - as a preventative measure?

Wow!

20 years is a pretty good run for a WH! Must live where the water aint so hard. When I was doing carpentry home remodels in So Cal 10 years was stretching it.

Of course if you have it where yo can see it daily it's not too bad....you can see the problems well before the failure with rust and HW deposits etc... Replace that sacrificial anode at least!

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Good opportunity to go tankless if that's something you'd consider. We've had ours (Rinnai) for not quite two years and I'm very happy with it.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I would consider it at 12-15 years. They aren't too expensive..... for electrics anyway. Especially because we have a lot of iron in our well water. Get's pretty mucky in the WH probably.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Mine blew out a couple months ago. Big mess. Big bill from Disaster Kleenup (you'd think for that kinda money they'd spell it right). So yeah - DO IT NOW before it's too late!

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
It depends. If it's in a spot where no damage would be done by a leak, then I would just leave it. I've changed water heaters that were 40 years old before they started leaking. This is my approach with mine, which is located next to a floor drain on a concrete floor in the unfinished part of our basement.

On the other hand, if it's in a location that would cause catastrophic damage to things like walls and hardwood floors if it were to spring a geyser in the middle of the night or while you're away from the house, then it's a good idea to change them after 10-15 years. Most of them have six-year warranties for a reason.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
It depends. If it's in a spot where no damage would be done by a leak, then I would just leave it. I've changed water heaters that were 40 years old before they started leaking. This is my approach with mine, which is located next to a floor drain on a concrete floor in the unfinished part of our basement.

On the other hand, if it's in a location that would cause catastrophic damage to things like walls and hardwood floors if it were to spring a geyser in the middle of the night or while you're away from the house, then it's a good idea to change them after 10-15 years. Most of them have six-year warranties for a reason.
^^^^
This.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I'm just not that dialed in to the hot water heater, it isn't on my radar until the water isn't hot or there is a leak. The leak has always presented itself before the tank completely rusts out.

What are you going to do, set a reminder on your cellphone to replace the hot water heater ten or twelve years down the road?

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I have a tankless that was having problems with delayed ignition and banging on startup. Was basically without heat except a space heater for three weeks. Wasn’t going to take chances in my small apartment.

Repair guys after three visits diagnosed it as a bad gas valve and the replacement was 300. They kept trying to talk me out of it cause it was “expensive.” Like buddy, you’re not doing me any favors, just take the money. It’s not worth the headache or a possible fire. I’m not even paying for it, my landlord is.

That’s the one thing that’s been culture shock here (Spain) for me. This country used to be pretty poor so people are always “looking out for you” like that (or maybe not wanting you to complain about them being thieves or something?). The amounts to fix problems sometimes are nothing that anyone back home would bat an eye at...in the US they just shut up and take the money and both parties are happy to make the problem go away.

Last edited:

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
Just put a piece of tape on it with a date.
The tape trick works, but the first two or four numbers of the serial number (depending upon the brand) reflects the year that it was manufactured. Kind of like guitars. Some brands even put the manufacturing date specifically on the sticker that has the model and serial #s.

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
*shrug* if you got the money, and it's in a spot that can cause damage... it's not bad idea.
Mine sits a couple feet from my furnace...so I keep and eye (and ear) on it.
Luckily the last time mine blew a gasket, it was the bottom ring, and sprayed water all over the floor, unfinished concrete so no biggie, but had it been the top....that might have been bad.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Back last summer I replaced this, a coal furnace converted for oil.
8B44A715-9DD0-41FF-8AEE-C1D3B26E6F5C.jpeg
AAF87CB1-ABC9-452F-B096-B8BB374F3ABB.jpeg

I replaced this last summer, a coal furnace for steam heat converted for oil hit water. Domestic hot water was by a coil inside that had to be periodically descaled. I wouldn’t exactly call this replacement prophylactic.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I'm just not that dialed in to the hot water heater, it isn't on my radar until the water isn't hot or there is a leak. The leak has always presented itself before the tank completely rusts out.

What are you going to do, set a reminder on your cellphone to replace the hot water heater ten or twelve years down the road?

I always wrote the date of install with a big fat Sharpie.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I replaced mine three times in 12 years and the fourth I upgraded to a Norwegian all SS tank dammit!!!