Repairing scuffed up guitar case

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by schmee, Jun 12, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have a vintage case that's getting pretty scuffed up. The "tolex" seems thin on it and little chunks lift up when scuffed. It has a bunch of that, especially around the edges.. Not big patches, just mostly the size of a quarter or less.
    Trying to think of something to "paint on" those areas where the wood underneath is showing to reduce further damage.
    Just wondering if anyone else has done it.
    Some thoughts:
    -Liquid Electrical Tape. I have tried this for speaker doping, it's great but really is very thin. Even multiple coats dont do much. So for this I'm afraid it's not a good thing. Also it dries flat black, it would be nice if something dried gloss or semi gloss to match the tolex.
    -What about that stuff you dip your tool handles in? If it comes in black. Is it too thick?
    -Does vinyl come in a liquid?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't tried it yet, but here's a maybe to think about, a Rustoleum product, comes in a rattle can:
    15 oz. Rubberized Black Undercoating

about $4 at your local auto parts store.

I've used just plain old black spray paint; I don't harbor too many stringent standards for how my cases look.

...ok, oops, I just noticed you mentioned "vintage" case. For the people who want the carpet to match the drapes, maybe there's a more refined technique, if you're selling the case as a match to a particular era guitar. That's a restoration project, not a simple repair, yes?

schmee likes this.
  3. schmee

Yeah, not selling but want to limit further damage a bit. Not worried about aesthetics so much, but do want to keep it looking vintage good. I wondered about some of the truck bed coatings for the home user though. Guess I'll have to buy some stuff and do some tests!

teletimetx likes this.
  4. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

In the art world that might qualify as "patina..."

On Antiques Roadshow the appraiser would say, "If you hadn't removed the patina, it would be worth $1,000. As it is now, it's worth about $300."

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

1560376348402-569467993.jpg My 1986 Gibson J-100's case had literally been chewed on by a dog at some point. Lots of brown vinyl missing. Teeth marks in the wood, chewed clean through to the pink fuzzy inside in a few spots.
    The case did it's job. The guitar survived.
    I thought about getting a new one, or paying to have it recovered but decided to just wing it.
    Duct tape and Shoe goo glue.
    I painted my band name on it because I'm a redneck.

Chunkocaster, P Thought and jimash like this.
  6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

For a fast easy fix you might try some black CA aka Superglue, just don't use kicker / accelerator on it unless it's the GluBoost brand, regular kicker will haze or turn CA whitish.

The vinyl that is being used on most cases these days is pretty thin and not durable, not at all like the old vintage Fender tolex cases.

7. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+1 for the Black tinted CA.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My two cents-

If you really wanna preserve the case, leave it at home. Get a new case for toting the guitar around, one that you don’t care if it gets beat up (that is what cases are for, after all) and stick the vintage one under the bed.

nojazzhere, JL_LI, drewcp and 2 others like this.
  9. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Get some tolex and patch it with that and good contact adhesive.

Or duct tape! there's also fibreglass tape which is very hard-wearing.

10. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

Don't laugh.

.... Black tolex?
    I often use wire ties that I melt with a hot knife (you could use a soldering gun or iron) and then smear on to the bare spots and it will adhere like you would not believe as well as stick to the existing....

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe coat it in the poly they use on some guitars. It should survive a nuclear blast then.
    It might be worth looking at the skb tsa cases like the one beneath it rather than re tolex etc.

The case will still last many decades when the tolex gets messed up. Gaf tape works well.
    My acoustics case still works the same as when it was new. The sides don't separate from the top as long as there is some tolex left to help hold it all together.

20190614_030558.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  12. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

Yeah, I've got a SKB case that's getting close to 30 years old now. If I'm taking a Strat or Tele out somewhere that's the one I put them in. It's not the TSA model, but I like that it's light weight.

My SKB is like the current 1SKB-66; specs show 9.8lbs. (I think mine is even lighter than that!) The injection molded "iSeries" cases are from 19 to 27.8lbs (335 type).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Black DAP caulk may work for you. I used it to repair a damaged interior car door panel. It dries with about the same luster as the vinyl on your case. It can be applied as thick or as thin as necessary and it’s easy to blend the edges with your finger. You can also use a toothpick to add a pretty reasonable approximation of a grain pattern when it’s dry to the touch but not quite set. When set, it can be cut with a blade, lightly sanded, or just pulled off if you’re not pleased with the result. Practice over a scrap of wood before you try to impress a grain.

BTW, the caulk makes excellent driveway crack filler if you get to them before they spread. Keeps water out and lasts for years.

14. schmee

I've got some Plasti Kote. Will post results.

15. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

I use spray-on tire shine to protect them. (Works on cabinets and heads too).

16. drewcp

drewcp Tele-Meister

I tried liquid electrical tape for this purpose once. It looked good for about a month and then fell off. That was just from moving the case around my apartment when I wanted to get that particular instrument out.

17. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I repaired my 70's Fender case a few weeks ago. Just stuck the torn tolex down with superglue.
    There's still bare wood showing here & there.
    I've also been repairing my black Ibanez ST50 with nail varnish. Works a treat.
    That may work on your case. Just a drop on a cocktail stick & let it flow into the hole.
    Don't try & brush it on.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Glue down any "lifting" pieces, then brush on Flex Seal from a can.....not the aerosol stuff. Won't be a perfect match, but will protect and be reasonably durable.
    Or....do what Jakedog said.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.