Repairing neck finish crack in poly

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by milocj, Dec 6, 2016.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've got a 1971 and 1977 Ovation, 12-string and 6-string. Both are in great shape except for a couple of finish cracks where a neck volute would be on some guitars.

The crack on the 6-string doesn't bother me because I can't feel it while playing, but the 12-string has a couple of cracks right next to each other and can sometimes be felt in the web of my hand. Neither neck seems to have any yellowing or change in the feel since new.

Would the best option for fixing (at least the 12-string) simply be to wax the area around the cracks and sick some water thin super glue into the cracks? I'm assuming the wax would keep any glue from sticking to the original finish.

Thanks.

2. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

The thin superglue is what you need to use on poly.

Cat MacKinnon and Guy Lorshbaugh like this.
  3. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'd be concerned with having wax anywhere near it in case any gets on the crack, rather than trying to control the wax I'd just be careful with the glue. Clean the area first with naphtha (and denatured alcohol unless it's nitro). The finish drop-fill is done with a toothpick or a needle, not from the glue bottle directly. You might not need the water-thin viscosity version which is better for wicking into wood cracks and under frets. Here, assuming it's just a finish crack, you only need to stabilize the finish layer and regular viscosity (thin, not water-thin) will build faster to bridge over the crack.

4. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks guys.

My only reason for doing this is to make the cracks level so I don't feel them, so nothing has to do with stability or an actual repair.

I'll use the "normal" thin instead of water thin. I had assumed it would need to be the thinnest to wick into the finish cracks before it would build up.

I have a package of small drops of beeswax and had planned on building a touch of a solid dam, rather than having to melt it around the cracks. I'll see how easily the glue wicks in with the picks and dropping tools I have before trying wax.

5. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I've used superglue to make invisible repairs to cracks and dings in poly - no witness lines if you're lucky. I just mask up close as insurance against spills and runs, and apply thin superglue in very small amounts at time off a toothpick or the like until it has built up to just above the crack. I then scrape, sand and polish, with absolutely minimal sanding. I wouldn't use wax or any other kind of dam, I would just go slowly.

6. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Yep tape round the crack .then add thin coats of crazy glue. we call it super glue. anyway. build up a few layers then get the finest wet and dry paper you can find. and rub smooth. now once you got it as thin as you can go and all is PROPPER smooth, remove tape. and put a blob of crazy glue over the area and kind of blen across some of the outer area over the fixed smooth area and just pst it.. let it dry. now do another. try to keep it as smooth as poss always.. thats why the thin is the best. now use the finest wet and dry paper wet with a little green soap. and smooth it all out go very light at the edges... now buff it out. it will go like glass. better shine than your original... it will be a perfect finish. if you do it right. take your time. dont rush. be a pro about...... its a great fix.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.