Repairing fretboard by the nut...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, Mar 13, 2019.

1. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to repair this? The ol' break your fret board while removing the nut mishap...
    [​IMG]

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Epoxy and rosewood sawdust.

3. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Got the chunk that came outta there?

Could glue it back in with super glue, sand and polish it and it might not be too obvious.

If you don't have the chunk, one way might be rosewood sanding dust and super glue, but it might look bad.

Or, chisel out a nice flat bottom on that notch and hand make a little wedge from some rosewood stock if you have it.

I bet a good luthier could make it disappear.

Check some Dan Erlewine vids, I think I've seen him fix something like that.

fenderchamp and Chunkocaster like this.
  4. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Super glue and rosewood dust.

Create a “dam” with blue tape to keep glue out of the nut slot and off of the headstock face. Drop a little pile of dust where the tear out is, add a drop of glue, let dry (or use accelerator). Keep gradually adding dust and glue until the missing spot is filled.

Sand and shape when completely dry.

trouserpress likes this.
  5. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Don't have any rosewood... Or maybe I can take some from the overhang of the 22 fret. Doesn't have to be pretty because I'm thinking about doing a matching headstock

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

6. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

An old master does it ...
    youtu.be/nONCCSdA9Ds?t=1355
    ... and the invisible result ....
    youtu.be/nONCCSdA9Ds?t=3597

trouserpress likes this.
  7. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Had the same mishap with a CIJ '62 Jazz Bass a few years back. Used some white wood glue & refitted most of the original chipped / damaged bit behind the nut added in with some rosewood dust, sanded it down & it's not even noticeable.

The original had heavy poly lacquer sprayed past the nut end of the fretboard, without any spray at all over the playing part of the neck. I didn't replace that as I only have nitro lacquer to use.

It looks fine as it is, because the rest of the fretboard was never sprayed apart from the side dots by the rosewood maple joint.

Your damaged neck will be fine, glue back with some dust added back to the chipped / damaged wood. Add some dust, you might need to do it more than once, reshape & sand.

If you don't have any Rosewood, just use some from an old steak / bread knife!

8. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Since you do not have rosewood to get your sawdust from to mix with an epoxy you can wood stain mixed with the epoxy to a dark color that will come close to matching. I have used ebony stain mixed with JB wood weld for pretty good results. If you can find them at a hardware store (Orchard Supply had them....Orchard Supply now closed) the small trial packs are cheap. Any dark stain will work. Dark walnut..
    awood.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.