1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Repairing dent/crack in finish

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by poboy, Mar 24, 2019.

1. poboy

poboy Tele-Meister

I'm sure this has come up before, but I have a MIM Tele that has a dent in the finish. The finish is cracked so I can see some of the white undercoat, but the chip is still adhered to the guitar. What's the best way to repair the dent?

Is there an advantage to repairing it before the chip comes off? Or do I remove it and try to fill the dent?

Thanks.

2. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

I think I've read on forums and seen in videos that super glue is a good material for filling finish dents.

3. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I have had great results with GluBoost Fill n' Finish (Pro Formula, Blue bottle):

https://gluboost.com/

I was able to repair several poly cracks in a strat body using several coats of GluBoost and then sanding and polishing as in the StewMac video. It won't be entirely invisible, but in my case the body color was black so I could tint the GluBoost to make the blemish all but invisible. I should have taken some before and after photos, but I have some more repairs to do and will try to gets some pics in the future.

4. poboy

poboy Tele-Meister

Thanks for the link to the video - that was a great overview. Unfortunately, the dents are right on the edge of the body (aren't they usually there?), so I probably can't use the razor blade trick. But the rest of the information is useful.

5. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Burn in knife, file then sand and polish.

If you have a piece of steel the shape of a burn in knife and can heat it with something (torch, heat gun for paint removal, etc) you can do the same thing without buying an expensive burn in knife.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.