Repairing a vintage CRL 1452

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by cjp60, Jun 13, 2021.

1. cjp60

cjp60 Tele-Meister

Years ago I was looking for a CRL 1452 for my 1960 Telecaster Custom and came across a broken one with an extra CRL 2190 switch for parts for $15. The 2190 is basically the same switch except it has temporary positions for 1 and 3 and is fixed in position 2. I bought them and put them away while I looked for the correct rivets and a way to swage the rivets correctly. I work at a Turbine Engine company and we have an extensive electronics dept. I asked one of the older guys if he had any rivets and tooling and showed him the switches. He found tooling but no rivets but said they look like a Stimpson rivet he's used before. Well, the Stimpson GS35B was an exact replacement. Here's how I repaired the CRL 1452.
    You can see the broken tangs on the left:
    [​IMG]
    I used a number 43 drill to drill out the rivets and made some tooling to support the switch when swaging the rivet:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the file jammed in there to keep the rivet from spinning while I drilled it out. I used a drill just slightly smaller than the OD of the rivet so I wouldn't enlarge the hole in the switch. Once drilled out I trimmed the head of the rivet with a razor knife.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both switches disassembled:
    [​IMG]
    Jig I made to support the switch during swaging;
    [​IMG]
    Getting ready to swage:
    [​IMG]
    Nicely swaged:
    [​IMG]
    Final product:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wally, milocj and uriah1 like this.
  2. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Nice repair job :) !!!

cjp60 likes this.
  3. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Awesome job!! I actually have this cool one off broadcaster custom shop that had a few different wiring jobs done to it over the years. I wanted to put it back to what a stock broadcaster would have come. So looking at the vintage crl 1452 it’s insanely expensive. I found a CRL 18672($35) which is identical to the 1452 but a slightly longer switch arm. I just cut a little off the top, Luxe Radio broadcaster cap kit and vintage switch tip and done D30032FE-A856-44CC-89AA-94F60FF7F914.jpeg 4F0BE96F-6C78-4103-8B62-8B329D44C218.jpeg 405956D3-CA5B-4AA0-8C66-0B8CEB71F60F.jpeg

cjp60 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.