1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Repair or new

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Toto for short, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:18 PM.

1. Toto for short

Toto for short TDPRI Member

Hi guy. I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I had ordered a "brand new" jim root fender tele online from Walton's.ie. they rang me 3 days ago saying the guitar had a "huge ding" and had to be sent for repair. Now the ding is infact quite bad. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks there would be more substantial damage and would a repair cover this to a point where it unnoticeable. Also if it comes back looking ok should I ask for a discount and how much you would reckon. I have already received a refund but this model is getting tough to find.

Attached Files:

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

If I'm seeing that correctly, it's just a "love tap".....not "in fact quite bad". I agree you should get a discount for it, but it wouldn't affect playability. ;)

Toto for short likes this.
  3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

The reason we buy new, when we do, is because we don’t want dings and wear and such. I wouldn’t pay full price for that- there are thousands of full price guitars available with no damage. You should be compensated whether it’s by discount or by getting a different one in- if that’s possible.

4. Toto for short

Unfortunately I've been struggling to find the same model anywhere. Would you reckon a repair would make this unnoticeable and would anyone know how much I could even ask as a discount?

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

First of all, is it the Squier Jim Root ($500) or the Fender Jim Root ($1200)?

If it was the expensive one I'd say no way and ask them for a new guitar. If you do decide to take it, I'd expect at least a 25% discount, 'cause that's a big ding. It should go for a below B-stock price.

6. Toto for short

Y
    Yeah it is the Fender so it's big money for a damaged item. Like I say it's the guitar I had my heart set on and I've struggled to find it anywhere else. I'm not a great haggler so I thought I could at least get some idea of how much I could ask for off

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Well I've bought two B-stock guitars and a B-stock amp recently and all were discounted about 25% from the original price. None of them have any visible flaws except an "S" etched into the back of the headstock of one of the guitars.

8. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

It’s hard to say how much, but I would put that ball in their court first so you don’t short yourself. I’m sure it’s possible it could be fixed without any indication of repair by a professional, hell I’ve seen bigger miracles here. HOWEVER, I have never seen such a thing from retail store employees. I’ve seen a lot of bad repairs on new guitars, a lot of the time worse than the damage could have been.

9. Toto for short

So from "new" which they claimed even though it was hanging displayed it was going to cost €1070. But yeah you're right I'll let them make the first move and see where I can go from there. I think they have a dedicated repair team so hopefully it will come back looking good

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

as above indicated , ask the question ....."does this now constitute a B grade and subject to at least 25or more % off ? " point out 1200 for a damaged piece some how does not seem correct , I am sure they may offer you a new one or the repaired at adiscount , you dont know till you ask

Peegoo and Toto for short like this.
  11. Toto for short

Well that's just what I'm trying to figure out. Does a display model count as "new" if it hasn't been played (which I do not know) I will be asking for a discount I'm just unsure as to how much even with a good repair. He said he'll have an update for me on Monday.

24 track likes this.
  12. Riff Robin

Riff Robin TDPRI Member

Ha..you may be charged extra for ''relic services'.

jays0n, nojazzhere and Toto for short like this.
  13. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

That’s not a “ding”. That guitar either crashed hard into something or it was dropped.

Structurally and playability-wise it’s probably fine, but in my mind it is now a used guitar, and should be priced accordingly.

Does this shop have a full-blown, pro level repair department? Because it’s unlikely that the average guy in the back who does restrings and setups has the skills to able to fix that so it looks like it never happened. Plus, the time/money it would eat up wouldn’t be cost effective. They’re just going to knock a couple hundred off of the price and hang back up on the wall if you decide you don’t want it.

I’d either take the guitar as is with a heavy discount or wait for a new, unblemished one.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 2:39 PM
  14. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't hesitate to ask for 10 or 15 percent off on it. I think 25 percent is pushing it on my opinion. It's a ding. It'll be fine. My question is what would the repair look like? There's people out there that do great work, but it's very difficult to touch up the finish on a guitar. I know it's not a task I would undertake in a hurry.

You could always ask for 25 percent. The worst they can do is tell you no.

15. Toto for short

That was my thought exactly. It's a mahogany body so you'd need pretty big whack to Chip it like that.
    Walton's would be a very big and reputable music shop in ireland so I would guess they would have a repair shop to match. It has already been sent out for repair so we'll see how it looks when it comes back

16. Toto for short

That's kind of my thinking as well. If the repair is up to standard then I will happy enough with a 15/10% discount. When you have your heart set on something it's very hard let it go

Steve Holt likes this.
  17. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

If you were buying a new car and they told you they had crashed it, but it was repairable - would you ....?

jays0n, Toto for short and Oldsmobum like this.
  18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That is a big chip missing; it's not a ding. The guitar is damaged and repaired; it's not "new condition."

I would ask for a discount. If they offer you 20% go for it. If they offer you 10%, ask for 15.

Here's the thing though: you know and they know these guitars are in demand, and they will probably have no trouble selling it even with the repair.

Push, but push gently.

Toto for short and Steve Holt like this.
  19. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

A new guitar is supposed to be new. A guitar with that sort of damage does not make the grade. They should already have offered a very significant discount, unbidden. If they have not, they've got a h**l of nerve. I probably wouldn't do business with them. Without a very significant discount, I would certainly not accept this as a new instrument, and i'd be p-----d to the extent they expected me to do so. This isn't close.

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

THIS. Just buy another... or get a big discount.
    The hierarchy in my mind is:
    New
    Used
    Damaged.
    Salvage

Oldsmobum likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.