1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Repair advise needed

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jbull, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

WTH???
    I don't think I've Ever seen neck "wear" like that.
    Not sure that can be un-done, but I just watched a StewMac vid, correcting an unfortunate bit of routing to make a wrong Bigsby (sorta) fit a vintage Tele.
    The fix involved making a cleancut rout and gluing in a replacement piece, w/ re-finish, making the repair nearly invisible. I throw up in my mouth a little each time I see these truly regrettable mods. Please, people, do your experiments on craigslist orphans or gfs blowouts, not the irreplaceable golden age classics.
    Peace - Deeve

PaulHaa likes this.
  2. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

i think 'original condition' went out the window a long time ago with the poorly executed refret. it also looks like it was stained at some point (could be my monitor). i would have a couple friends over and throw it in my firepit. maybe roast a mallow on it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  3. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

that being said, whoever played on this thing was a badass. whoever worked on it, unfortunately, was a halfass.

Cat MacKinnon, tap4154 and gtrjunior like this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I could see Dan planing down the fretboard surface and gluing on on a thinned down, preslotted, stewmac maple fretboard without too much hassle. Then re-radius it to '56 spec and add the frets back in. The skunk stripe could be more of a hassle. I suspect that that neck was just adulterated by somebody who thought they could do it themselves..... Remember that was just a used guitar during the guitar boom of the 60's and 70's.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

What about Gruhn's shop in TN or Dave's in WI? Might get more than one opinion on it before arranging any repairs.

Leo designed the bolt-on feature to replace necks as they wore out or were damaged beyond simple repairs.

I'd keep that neck as is (back off the truss rod pressure though!) and get a new neck for the body. You'll still have the vintage piece to wax stories about, of which the heavy finger grooving on the fretboard and chipped out slots from a refret are part of it, rather than a cleaned up repair. The new neck could be aged to look like the original and fit with the body style along with aged tuners.

Research the ownership history of this guitar and keep all notes on a card in the case with the old neck.

jackinjax and gtrjunior like this.
  6. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Nothing about that neck that a pro can't remedy.

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That neck isn't going to be a DIY project. I hesitate to give much advice on it without getting my hands on it first, so be aware that the following is just guesswork.

You'd want to remove the skunk stripe and make sure the trussrod was good before doing anything else. If it is broken, the anchor points compressed into the wood, or so rusted that it won't adjust you'll need to deal with that. The frets need to be pulled, and the fretboard cleaned up and the fret markers replaced, it may be that it can be cleaned up without losing a lot of the surface. Or, you may need to plane it down and add a fretboard. At his point you'd probably have a pretty good idea whether the neck could be made playable again.

At this point you could clean up the skunk stripe channel and whittle a new skunk stripe to fit. New frets, finish repair, and you'll be golden for under a thousand bucks.

It'd be interesting to see the rest of the project.

If all that's left is the body, that neck, and a few pieces of hardware, you're going to end up with a partscaster anyway. It'd be interesting to research the value of a guitar of the same age that's been heavily modified, and compare that against the cost of restoring that neck and accumulating the correct parts.

If it was my project and the goal was just making it a player, it'd get a new neck, maybe one relic'd (gulp!) by someone who knew what he was doing. Keep the old neck as-is for the next guy to agonize over. Or, peddle it and offset part of the cost of the rest of the project. The value of that neck would be hard to guess, but you can be sure somebody would want it as a labor of love.

8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Looks like it was faux reliced to me with a Dremel. Especially around the lower frets and while doing it the third fret the marker popped out. That isn't playing wear as it's right up against the frets. And why stain it? Sad... Hope it works out for you..

Bones likes this.
  9. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

that didn't immediately occur to me but you are right on point. they probably stuck it in the oven at some point and popped the skunk stripe too.

I_build_my_own likes this.
  10. PaulHaa

PaulHaa Tele-Meister

That's just out of curiosity but I'd love to see the rest of the guitar. And as others said I'd buy a replacement neck and keep the original in case you'd ever want to sell.

11. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

My first thought was relic gone bad, too. But why relic a neck that is already that old? There are all kinds of bad decisions stuck to that thing...

I like the advice of 1.) seek professional help and/or 2.) keep it separate and put on a new player neck.

I'd like to see the body too. Was it poorly reliced, as well?

John

gtrjunior likes this.
  12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like Marty said, in the 60's it was just a used aging guitar, and we don't know when it was given the "treatment". Probably was not a big deal when it was done.

I'm another who would like to see the body and what kind of shape it's in.

13. O5wa1d

O5wa1d TDPRI Member

I'd suggest leaving it in to a professional luthier. You've too much at stake if it's a real vintage neck. If it's a reissue, a replacement neck would do.

14. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

I don't think it was an attempt at relic'ing, I think it was a really badly-done refret. There are chips missing all over the neck next to each fret slot, which indicates someone A) didn't apply heat to loosen them up first, and B) didn't realize that Fender frets were pushed in from the side up until 1984 or so. To add insult to injury, they did an even worse job installing the new frets! I think it's combination of playing wear and some very poor decisions on the part of a previous owner. I also think the neck suffered some serious water damage at some point, which would explain the skunk stripe issue (or was left in a hot car trunk one day.)

I think it's technically repairable, but frankly a new replacement neck is probably going to be cheaper. That neck is so damaged that I don't know that throwing $400+ at it just for repairs is worth the "vintage value", because half of it is probably going to have to be planed off just to make it playable. A new fretboard, a complete refret and that not-insignificant skunk stripe problem is not going to be cheap, but all that work may also devalue the neck to the point where it's still a monetary loss (if that makes sense?) In other words, even if you put several hundred bucks into it, it may very well end up not even being worth that much; at some point damage becomes so severe that the thing in question becomes just another broken piece of wood rather than something with much (or any) value. Add onto the fact that you said nearly everything else has been swapped out too, which automatically takes a huge chunk of the value regardless of the condition the neck is in.

Personally, I'd be inclined to go along with the suggestion for a replacement neck. Even if your friend went nuts and ordered something totally custom from Warmoth (or whoever), it'll most likely still be cheaper than the repairs would cost. He can even get a US-made replacement neck directly from Fender for less, and a no-frills replacement from Warmoth can be had for under $200 shipped if he sticks with simple options (or finds something in their Showcase.)

By the way, if the neck did suffer water damage at some point, the truss rod might have to be replaced too if it's rusted.

15. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've seen that neck before, yeah! It belonged to Edward Dremelhands from that place way back when. Looks like the kids were mean again and he got upset.

16. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

like others have said, any chance we can see the rest of the guitar?

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Rode hard and put up wet...

18. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Some of the end radii of the wear marks terminate "under" the frets. The refret job would have to have been done with bass frets for this to be possible and those aren't bass frets. I'm with Cap on this one.

19. Jbull

Jbull Tele-Meister

Thanks, the jury is still out on the whole project. A friend of mine that does guitar setups in the local music store was given the guitar by a customer and asked to get it back to playing condition. The body is in fair shape but the finish is awful. It's been repainted several times. He wants to try and repair the skunk stripe or back of the neck and that's why I posted the pics to try and get some ideas. As far as the frets and top of the neck I'm not sure what his plan is. I will keep this thread updated. If the guitar were mine I think I would add a maple veneer on the top and start over.... but it's not mine.. so we shall see...

20. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

My best guess is that part of the relicing was soaking it in bleach, causing it to reverse warp the top radius, causing it to pull apart the back, when it dried.
    I've seen this before.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.