Renewing the old guitar stands tubing with Silicone, any risk to Nitro?

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
I have a bunch of older guitar stands that have gone crusty and brittle with the rubber tubing and it all is in need of replacing. I would like to use a clear Silicone food grade tubing but was wondering if this will be safe for the finishes of my Nitro guitars. I'd like to hear about your opinions and experiences on this. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
Silicone is reportedly bad stuff for guitar finishes. I believe it is virtually universal advice to not use cleaners or polishes with silicone in them on guitars because silicone will repel glues and finishes going forward. I do not use cleaners or polishes -- just slightly damp microfiber cloth -- so I can't speak from experience, but I would steer clear of any silicone stuff.

S00NERMAN

Tele-Holic
I avoided the issue by getting my darling wife to sew up a few covers for that tubing out of the same material that cases are lined with. They have been on there at least 10 years with no issues. You just sew on some nylon cord to tie them together and they never come loose. She's awesome.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Mine left a mark in the nitro neck of my old archtop, the stand was new. This was back in the 1990s.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Best advice is to avoid anything synthetic. Some synthetics are OK, but not when they are NEW and still out-gassing solvents. Cotton, wool, most leathers not treated with silicones are all decent choices. Neoprene and other soft rubbers are usually OK once they have aged a while. I throw cotton socks or towels over them for a few months, then they seem fine.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I had one that I wrapped with gaff tape after I noticed some finish damage. Worked great until it disappeared after a gig in a sketchy dive bar about 10 years ago.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I recently wrapped an old stand with 1” wide cotton tape. It’s a fabric tape with no adhesive. Technique is like wrapping bars on a road bicycle. I did 2 layers. Seems good so far.
+1, they make cotton terry wrap for tennis raquets, fishing rods, etc. I'd look for the products that are 100% cotton without any adhesive.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have one guitar finished in Nitro (Gibson Les Paul Studio) and I just throw an old t-shirt or flannel over the head of the stand or hanger before putting the guitar on it. I really only use stands when I am playing, I keep a few of my guitars on hangers for quick access and the rest live in hard cases. The Classic Vibes are the only ones that live on the hangers as they are my primary practice instruments. If I had more guitars with a nitro finish I would probably do more to ensure I had no problems, but this works for me.

20220313_200517996_iOS.jpg 20220619_182254178_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Silicone is reportedly bad stuff for guitar finishes. I believe it is virtually universal advice to not use cleaners or polishes with silicone in them on guitars because silicone will repel glues and finishes going forward. I do not use cleaners or polishes -- just slightly damp microfiber cloth -- so I can't speak from experience, but I would steer clear of any silicone stuff.
I agree and that applies to automotive finishes as well. Keep stuff like WD-40, dielectric grease and Armor All off your paint!
Anyway, I think silicone tubing is a different animal in terms of reactivity in that form. I will do some more research. I will probably go ahead with Neoprene, Nitrile or Silicone tubing but with a cotton sleeve or sock type of solution. I was thinking about using the fingers of 100% white or even black cotton gloves may work well and appear "fitted" over the tubing.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions folks! I think the ultimate protection will involve cotton on the contact surface.

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
I believe it was latex, many years ago.

Have you checked into heat shrink tubing? I never investigated it but I bet it's pretty chemically stable.
I think heat shrink tubing is Nitrile or Neoprine. That over the base cushion whatever it may be may work well too. I like the aesthestic possibility of heatshrink as the outer layer. I happen to have a bunch of black 1/2" ID heat shrink tubing around to try out.

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Silicone oil is about as different to silicone rubber as a silicon chip is.

I replaced the tubes on my three guitar hanging rack about 3 years ago with silicone rubber, and just checking now, no problems on my '76 D35 Martin, Squire precision Bass, or Spector fretless bass. The Tele sleeps on the couch!
The latex that came on the stand, had rotted away over the years, leaving a crust stuck to the necks that had built-up over the years. It was difficult to remove. The silicone tubing is as good as the day it was put on; still soft and flexible with a glossy non-stick surface. Personally, I can not think of anything more suited.