Removing tool marks from my crowning file ...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Robbied_216, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys,
    I'm curious as to what y'all do to remove any of the marks left from crowning files. I remember back in AUS when I used to have my luthier friend do my fret work, they tops of the frets would be like glass after he was done.

I have seen emery boards like what the lady uses for her nails... would something like this followed by some polish be a suitable option?

Thanks everybody!

-Rob

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

I progress along the frets with 220, 320 wet and dry, 400 wet and dry , and then 0000 steel wool. It does the job.

4. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Of course... Thanks for the link Ricky... I have read that before but totally forgot about it.

5. supersonicobr

supersonicobr TDPRI Member

I got a question in that regard if anyone should have any sort of input - my crowning files always seem to attack the recently-levelled fret top instead of just tackling the "shoulder" the levelling process yields.

In the attached photos you'll see the results I get with a diamond crowning file (fret 10 is the jumbo side, 11 is the medium), an Amazon-sold Gurian jumbo file (fret 12) and 90ish seconds with a flat file against the fret side; fret 9 I tackled with my PoorBone (LittleBone-lookalike made out of a bit of wood, a strip of 400-grit wet-or-dry and a small clamp.

What am I doing wrong? Or are the crowning files supposed to perform as such?! (that's the impression I get from reading Ron Kirn's thread, but -) I'm unwilling to even touch the fret tops after levelling them as I feel anything apart from polishing them might reintroduce misalignment.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  6. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I used a dremel with a cutting paste. Came out pretty well.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a Gurian and long Stewmac one from years ago. I don't like the gurian and never use it. The Stewmac is for jumbo frets. That way the file surface can be tilted slightly to leave the sharpied top ridge untouched. It works fine that way. I'd investigate one of the diamond ones some time though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.