1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Removing the innyrds from an ES-330 without desoldering?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 974gt, Dec 10, 2015.

1. 974gt

974gt Tele-Meister

Can the innards (pickups and entire wiring harness - jack, pots, caps etc.) be removed from an ES-330 without desoldering?

The reason why I am asking is that I would like to do so mods but would like to preserve the originality of the guitar. Ideally I would like to remove all of the original electronics and put them away for safe keeping and then perform the mods on a completely new wiring harness with new pickups.

Thanks in advance!

2. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Been wondering the same thing.

Was thinking of "upgrading" the guts of my Sheraton II... I like the pups but the pots could be tighter.

3. Zender

Zender Tele-Meister

The same way you can remove the innards is the same way they put them in.

4. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

No you have to unsolder the pickups, the full wiring harness can come out in one piece but both pickups have to come out separately... You can wilder them back in place immediately after removal to keep it all together.

5. 974gt

974gt Tele-Meister

The Sheraton is a semi-hollow - I think that it would depend how the center block is routed - it would basically be the same process as with an ES-335 - whatever that process is?

The ES-330 is completely hollow - no center block so there is a bit more room to work with, I am just not sure if enough room to pull everything through the pickup cavity.

6. 974gt

974gt Tele-Meister

so the neck pick-up cannot be pulled into the body and out the routing for the bridge pickup or vice versa?

7. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Don't think so.

8. Topper

Topper Tele-Meister

TV Jones site has some good videos on how to swap the innards on a Gretsch - should work the same for ES -330. Think you will have to unsolder the pickups, however.

9. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Yes it can. You can unscrew the jack, switch and then the pickups. Pull the bridge pickup and then fish the neck pickup through the bridge pickup route. Then pull all knobs off and drop pots into guitar and pull everything through the bridge pickup route. You will likely need to loosen the tailpiece, or remove it completely to disconnect the ground wire. After that, I don't see why the unmolested harness can not all be fished, in tact, through a single pickup route.

Tedious, yes, but I don't see why not. This cannot be done with a semihollow guitar due the the nature of the center block.

10. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Oops, my mistake. I read "330" but my mind thought "335".

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yup

12. 974gt

974gt Tele-Meister

cool!

13. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Tie a string to each pot as you pull them out; it'll make it a little easier putting the new stuff back in!

14. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Voice of experience...

It took me a couple of times in a hollow body before I figured that one out. Tubing pushed on to the pot shafts works good too. Or dental floss if you can't find anything else around.

15. LACampbell. esq

LACampbell. esq Tele-Meister

i use tubing and sometimes.a guitar or bass string to fish things through, the rigidity helps you direct it through the body

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.