Removing the cover from a tele Wilkinson neck pup.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Nav2019, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Nav2019

Nav2019 TDPRI Member

Fitted a pair of Wilkinson pups to my tele copy. Had them running at 5.2k bridge and 5.4k neck which sounded really well balanced on the middle switch position where I prefer it. Sounded really crisp and defined apart from just a tad muddy on sustain between the pups. Decided to do a small mod, unsoldered the ground from the cover then took the cover off the neck revealing Wilkinsons well waxed fat pins. Scraped off the wax which is 1/8th of an inch thick. Underneath is a nice looking black body and six clean pins. Melted the last remnants of the wax off with a little heat. Set the heights according to sound.
    The dc resistance jumps from 5.4k to 5.6k and for some reason the noise cancelling of these two phased pups gets much, much better.
    What do you get? On individual notes on the middle switch, the neck definition cuts through the quack of the bridge much more crisp. For example, if you play an open B note strumming over the bridge and let that quack sustain then hit high E strumming over the neck, the two sounds are much more separated and defined. The other way around, the quack doesn't completely kill sustained neck notes easily. Harder to play? Hell yes, the noise cancelling is so perfect and precise that when you are in clean on the amp, you'd better get it right because this setup is far from forgiving. Dirty? You need a tad more gain than usual if you want to hide those poor or missed notes because it cleans up the gain beautifully. Another thing I found is that you can now add just a little more base on the amp before it starts going overboard.
    Advantages:-
    1. Much cleaner sound from the neck, I'd say 10-15% cleaner
    2. Much better noise cancelling.
    3. Each pup cuts through the other far cleaner with a lot less harmonics,
    4. Allows a little more range of mid and base on the amp.
    5. If you like 335 sound or 6120 sound, you'll love it.
    Disadvanges:-
    1. It will find out every poor guitar player in the world, not forgiving AT ALL.
    2. It cleans up your gain setting and requires dialing in more on the gain channel.
    3. If you like a tad of muddy between the pups as an effect and regard such a sound as a telecaster norm - don't do it.
    4. It brings the sound towards a 335 more than you might like so more humbucker sound, very close to 6120 Filter'tron IMO because of the open pins in your neck pup.
    I'm really happy with the sound but I like slap back with a echo delay pedal, the twang and quack from the tele bridge suit this style especially now the neck cuts through cleaner.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. Nav2019

Nav2019 TDPRI Member

Goodbye cover
    wilk.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.