Removing S-1 system from Baja Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GuitarKid, Jan 2, 2016.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh, I just noticed, you have a multimeter. Yes, you can use that to make sure the switch is functioning. One terminal on each end is common. Meaning, that as you move through the postions, all the other terminals on that side, connect to that terminal. Clip one MM lead to the common, and run through the positions, testing each terminal. Then do the same for the other side of the switch (common terminal is diagonally opposite the first one).

If your switch generally works, then it could still be your wiring of the switch. I just can't tell from here.

You're trying to wire it as a simple, three way stock Tele, right? If so, you know your volume pot through the jack is okay, because Neck alone works. So, continue to isolate by testing bridge pickup for failure, then the switch.

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The way your switch is oriented in the picture, starting with the bottom row of contacts and going from left to right:

There should be a small jumper wire connecting lower terminal 1 and 2, a longer jumper connecting lower 2 to upper 3, and a short jumper connecting upper 3 to upper 4. Upper 4 then goes to your pot.

I think you've forgotten the short jumpers, or the solder isn't making good connection.

Your neck pickup hot (yellow) will go to upper 1. Your bridge pickup hot (white) will go to lower 4. Your blues, blacks, and the green from the neck pickup will all get soldered to the back of the volume pot back.

A bad cap won't effect only one pickup. It's unlikely the switch is bad. They can be damaged by heat, but usually that kind of damage would be pretty obvious. Problems of this kind are almost always caused by either bad soldering or wiring errors. It's easy to wire something and then overlook the problem and swear it looks right.

RollCall likes this.
  3. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

I'd like to emphatically thank you guys again for the detailed, patient and effective support.
    moosie, I followed the steps you gave to check the components. That showed me neither component was damaged.
    dsutton, you have very good eyes. With that bad picture you found the problem. The thing is that the wiring sheet that came with the pots is wrong. It didn't show there should be a jumper between first and second terminals in the upper row, coming from the first (or third) of the volume pot, and from the second terminal of the switch to the third and fouth of the lower row.
    I soldered these and everything finally worked. I'm happy with the result. I think there has been an improvement in the overall tone. It's like the guitar sound was muffled and now it is more upfront. Of course the sounds wasn't bad before; I always liked this guitar. If the sound was good then, now it is very good, at least in my opinion. I may be biased from the recent result; nevertheless with the same set of strings, and the same amp, it sounded at least different, and in a good way to me.
    I never used the fouth position of the switch, or the other phase options. I always used it as a regular tele, so now I have one. My Baja now is basically a 52 reissue made in mexico with a flatter radius. And a bit worse of a finish, but still o.k.
    When I'm playing I like to make fast transitions from bridge to neck pickup, and with the four-way swtich that could never be done, as the position most to the left is a bridge+neck combo (in series or parallel, don't remember), and not the neck pickup alone. So I always had to meticulously hold the tip and put it in the neck pickup position, which wasn't a very practical thing.
    I'll post some pictures later.
    Now I have another problem. The input jack of a telecaster seems to be kind of difficult to replace, at least without the right tools. That will be my next task for this guitar.
    Again, a very emphatic "Thank you" to you guys.

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What a great feeling, eh? Post a picture of the guitar when you get a chance. We like guitar pictures.

Oh no, it was a guess based on 1) Knowing the circuit inside and out, 2) Your description of the problem, and mostly 3) My having made every possible mistake somewhere along the way.

The output jack is a common problem. Look up the Electrosocket. It is simple, very durable, and doesn't require any special tools to install. While you're there, replace the jack with a Switchcraft jack, and you'll never have to touch it again. I usually buy them from somebody who sells the jack and cup together, that way I don't have to deal with the SAE versus Metric thread mess.

Cheers!

5. moosie

Too bad you didn't lead with that. We could have shown how to have any setting in any position. I'm the same way. With a four-way, I order them Bridge, Series, Parallel, Neck. This puts the two solo pickups in their "normal" positions, and then series is hotter, which I equate to bridge position, so they're close together.

If you decide to go plain 4-way like that, give us a shout.

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on mod for 4 way with neck and bridge at ends for quick changes.

Can use the original 4 way, so no extra stuff needed.

I did that and flipped the control plate so I never hit the switch when playing and the volume is right under my pinky. Perfect tele set up for me now. I dumped the S1 early on.

7. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I dunno, this, "I want to remove the fancy switches from my Baja" comes up quite often.

There is an alternative, namely sell the Baja and buy a tele with 'normal' switch gear as you like it.

The advantage of this is you don't ruin the used-sale value of the Baja by modifying it.

8. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

dsutton24, I'll surely post some pictures as soon as I buy the new knobs. At the moment I'm using the Baja knobs, and one of them has a hole on it from the old push-pull button. I'll try to find round knobs to look similar to a 52 tele.
    Oh, another thing. I must have been kind of lucky, as a Switchcraft jack came with the kit. That is good news. I had a look on the Electrosocket, and it looks very solid, but, as I live in Brazil, these things are quite hard to find. I'll probably use the same socket and install the new jack.

moosie, if I change my mind about the four-way switch I'll surely let you know. Not for a second it ocurred to me that the positions could be changed. The whole point of this "operation" was to get rid of the S-1. I guess I'm a traditional guy. So far I like the simplicity of the old 3-way switch.

jefrs, I understand that in Great Britain, other parts of Europe or North America, these instruments are quite inexpensive and easy to acquire or replace. Where I live, a Baja tele is considered a luxury item. When I bought the Baja I knew it would be an instrument for life. Baja teles are not common here and I was very lucky to find this one. There are plenty of mexican standard teles, but Bajas are pretty rare. People have asked me if this is an american model. I humbly say it's a very good mexican model. People who are able to afford american instruments, Custom Shop and the such, are considered to be very rich. In a distant future I may get myself a Classic Series 50s Telecaster. At the moment I'm keeping the original Baja parts. If I ever have to sell it - which I wouldn't like - I might re-install them. As this is an instrument for life, I wanted to adapt it to my needs. But who knows, if I buy a Classic Series 50s I may convert the Baja back to original.

9. moosie

For your reference. All (or most all) permutations of 4-way series wiring.

[​IMG]

10. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

moosie, that's very good information. Thanks!

I told you guys I would post a picture at the end of the process. I've finally replaced the original jack for a switchcraft. I don't regret for a second having gone through this bit of work in order to promote what in my mind is an improvement. The new jack seems more solid and stable.
    Unfortunately I couldn't find round knobs to complete the "52 looks" on my tele. For the moment I'm using the Baja knobs, one of which has a hole from the previous phase button. All I could find were chinese versions (all with flat tops) of the Tele knobs. I bought two, and when I got home... a not very surprising surprise. The width of the hole is not compatible with the CTS pots. They won't fit, as the hole is smaller. I couldn't find CTS-compatible pots on the web in my country. Fender original parts are hard to find in Brazil.
    Anyway, here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

RollCall likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.