1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Removing poly paint?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Coloradotwanger, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a black 2004 Fender MIA jazz bass i bought some time ago.It has some small chips and dings from the previous owner.I would like to have it refinished in nitro vintage white/butter cream.I hear getting the thick poly paint off is a chore though?Does anybody know if using a heat gun REALLY works for removing the poly paint?

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

A heat gun works pretty dang good, but you have to be careful not to scorch the wood underneath. I've never stripped paint off an MIA so it could be a different style/blend/consistency, but the couple Squiers I did had that thick horrible stuff on there. I used a stripper of some sort because I didn't know about the heat gun at the time. This was 12 years ago I think. I'd recommend the stripper too. It's nasty messy stuff, but you pour it on, let it sit and then scrape it off with a plastic puddy knife or the like. Be prepared to have more than one puddy knife because it will melt it. Same goes for binding or side dots if you plan to strip the neck. It'll melt those right out!

I'd highly recommend either one of those before sanding. Don't sand it!

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I took the poly off a Squier Strat with a heat gun, worked pretty well. Keep it moving so as not to scorch the wood.

You'll need to give it a real good sanding after the finish is off to get rid of the sealer, though.

- D

4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes the sealer comes right off with the top coat. It depends on the finish process.

The one I stripped was from the 80s was polyester sealer with polyurethane color coat. The only issue I had was that I caught the grain with the corner of the putty knife and tore a tiny triangle gouge in the wood. The refin was a solid color so a little epoxy filler fixed it without being visible.

But you got good advice above, keep the heat gun moving and be careful with the corners of the putty knife.

5. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't help but think of how old wooden windows are often stripped. They use a steam booth. Supposedly this floats all the paint so that it can be removed easily. Anyone ever try this on a guitar body or neck?

6. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i stripped the paint off a squier body last weekend; only took about 40 mins with a heat gun but as strangerny above says, it's another hour with a sander to get the sealer off - 80 grit first, then 120 then 200. i'm going to do an oil and wax finish on mine. the edges inside the cutaway was the biggest pain because you'll have to do that by hand.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I remember trying to strip the poly off an Epiphone LP body - heat didn't do a thing. Ended up having to sand it off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.