Removing Musty Smell from an Amp...?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chuckster, Sep 16, 2019.

1. danzigdan

danzigdan TDPRI Member

I like most of the ideas above. In combination with your cleaning method I might get a small portable fan and point it at the amp (grill and on the reverse side) and leave it on for awhile.
    Maybe it will blow out some of the stank!

2. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

Depends.

Yes, with repeated moderate exposure to a dilute solution pitting would probably be noticeable...

with a one off full strength wipe down that was left to dry, in all likelihood, nothing would be noticed. But don't quote me on that.

And if an aluminum bowl was filled with the full strength stuff, chances are it wouldn't be a bowl after a few months.

But wiping down with alcohol would effectively be the same as wiping with water...

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe it's the time to take up smoking?[​IMG]

4. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Unscented Fabreze™ should help a lot. Amazing stuff.

5. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Add to what's been said charcoal, like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013RZUG94/?tag=tdpri-20. I used them on a case that had a smoky smell. I put the case and charcoal in a large hefty bag and tied it up so it could absorb as much as possible, along with dryer sheets. Worked great !!

6. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

No that will make the amp smell like detergent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I had a srinky speaker cab and cleaning it over and over did not seem to help. I eventually set it up in front a small fan in the basement and just left it sitting in front of the fan for a long time. (It never occurred to me that this might desiccate the speaker cone) and that did the trick.

8. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Activated charcoal and sunlight. I used both to get amoke odor out of a 50s tele and case. Stunkike a skunk. But gone now

Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bag 4-Pack Bundle, 200g Activated Charcoal Odor Abso... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0765VVV99/?tag=tdpri-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

This is very sound advice and you can find that peroxide as a "non-chlorinated pool clarifier" or from your local hair salon. Peroxide solutions do a good job removing smoke odors from walls and should be beneficial.

If it were my amp, I would remove the chassis and speaker first, then lightly sand all the exposed wood inside the cabinet. Just take off a mm or 2 should do it and then seal it with some Minwax lacquer. That is how I deal with cat urine on wood flooring and it works very well to eliminate that offensive odor. See, the trouble with trying to clean the odor from the wood is that wood is too porous so you will never be able to get to all of it and the remaining problem will just come right back to the surface. Concrete is like that as well, I have seen problem rooms where the odors actually are noticed in a completely different room of the house from where the contamination was in the first place...the odor just worked through the pores. Sanding the outer layer and sealing it up is the only sure way to solve the problem completely.

10. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

some good ideas have been said

smoke really works in a way, trap some cedar of hickory smoke in a bin with the amp in there.

be aware of that the smoke smell can also be as overwhelming as the stink but it fades.

i bought an amp that had the old basement smell still after a good cleaning so i just wanted it to be over so i sprayed the whole cab in and out with water based matte finnish polyurethane, to lock the stink in.

[​IMG]

i know it isnt "right" but i was feeling lazy and it worked out quite well, it hasnt blushed or anything like that and i can only occasionally smell the faintest hint of the basement stink when the humidity gets real high. otherwise i cant smell it.

keep in mind the risks and that it may or may not work like this for you.

11. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Thanks everyone... I just ordered a 5-pack of charcoal bags from Amazon. I will put the amp in a trash bag with a charcoal bags and see what happens.

Similarly, the previous owner of my Martin D-1228 was a heavy smoker (sadly, he's no longer with us). I will toss one in the case and see what happens there too.

FYI... here's the amp in question. Vox T-60... thumps pretty damn good.
    20190915_162043.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Wildcard_35 and Telecaster88 like this.
  12. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

I do this as well. In guitar cases, that have lived in smokers homes, I sprinkle the baking soda all over the cases lining. Let it dwell there for a time, then vacuum it out. After vacuuming I fill the largest "V-shaped" coffee filters with baking soda, then tape them closed with duct/gaffer's tape. I'll place 5-8, baking soda filled coffee filters, inside the case and leave them until the odor is gone. Occasionally I'll have to replace the filters with new ones, but in time I'll completely eliminate the bad odor.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    muscmp, Telecaster88 and Chuckster like this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm late here. You've already ordered something but here goes.... we used to clean the tolex and grill cloth on nasty amps with sneaker cleaner. Back when everyone could smoke in bars we took in some very stinky and dirty trades.

We used the kind of cleaner with the bristle brush cap. You spray the stuff lightly on the surface and let it dry into the surface. Then you gently work the bristle cap and it pulls crud out of tolex or cloth very well. I would use a shop vac with a soft touch attachment to pull all the dirty crusty particles away and then I'd wipe with a soft damp cloth.

The shoe cleaner is made to be effective (yet not harm) vinyl, leather, cloth, metal, rubber, urethane…..think of all the materials on a $120 pair of basketball shoes. Spray very lightly on the grill cloth and scratch the cloth lightly with the cap. We would clean old Fender grill cloths that were so nasty that you couldn't see the blue fibers in the grill. Just gross from smoke and dirt.

It works!

[​IMG]

Chuckster likes this.
  14. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

If it was owned by a hard-rockin' granny, removing the smell will totally destroy that amp's mojo.

Chuckster likes this.
  15. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

These bags showed up yesterday via Amazon:

20190918_203534.jpg

Bigger than I expected but that's good. I bombed the amp by putting it in a trash bag, and I tossed three of these in there. I figure I'll give it a week or so.

The fourth bag will go in my son's hockey bag, and the little blue bonus bag will go into the smoky Martin case. I will report back.

Thanks for the charcoal recommendations, guys...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.