Removing jack plate on Bullet Tele

John Stephen

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
I am trying to replace the jack plate on my Bullet Tele with one of the screw-in Electrosocket types. But I can't remove the old jack plate. It won't budge (photo attached). Any suggestions on how I can remove it without damaging the guitar finish around it? Is it possible they glued this thing in? Or it's jammed into the wood somehow? There's not enough rim for me tor grip with pliers. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Bullet Tele jackplate.jpeg
    Bullet Tele jackplate.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 56

paulblackford

Tele-Afflicted
I suppose you could use an Allen key, from the shown side, hook it thru the jack hole, and pull it out. Try the same from the control cavity side, and push it out. You could feed a string thru from this side into the control cavity, tie it to a washer , and then pull the washer thru?

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
That’s unusual. Typically when you remove the nut that holds the socket to the jack cup the cup almost falls out. It looks like it’s proud of the body. Did it come out a little and stop?

John Stephen

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. Pushing something through from the inside won't do it, unfortunately, because I won't hit the jack plate when I come through the hole with anything. I'll fiddle around with an Allen key and see if somehow that would do it.

@Boreas, right, it's really stuck, so it doesn't move. But the jack itself moves in and out a bit when I plug or unplug my cord. That's because this jack plate doesn't screw onto the jack shaft the way the Electrosocket does. There is a outside nut that screws onto the jack shaft, but that seems to continually come loose and I have to keep tightening it. Hence my desire to try the Electrosocket.

@RobRiggs, no, it didn't come out at all when I removed the nut. Hasn't budged a bit. It really feels like it's glued on, but I didn't know they did that.

Anyhoo, thanks again for your responses. Il'll keep a-fiddling with it.

paulblackford

Tele-Afflicted
While watching out for the finish, you might try heating the inner sides of the cup with a soldering iron. A heat gun might damage your paint. A soldering iron might help to break any glue bonds. Just an idea.

John Stephen

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
While watching out for the finish, you might try heating the inner sides of the cup with a soldering iron. A heat gun might damage your paint. A soldering iron might help to break any glue bonds. Just an idea.
Thanks for this suggestion as well. I don't have soldering equipment. Maybe my neighbor does and if so I could borrow his...

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
I like the heat idea. Chances are the finish or an actual glue has it stuck there.

You might try breaking it free by tapping/hitting it further into the body. (Kinda like hitting the end of a screwdriver when a screw is stubborn, stuck with rust.) Perhaps find a correctly sized socket, from a socket wrench set, to *fit* the inside of the cup, and give it a whack.

I don't have much love for the Electrosocket so, I would try to find a solution for the loose jack and leave this in place. lol.

John Stephen

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Lower and hd, thanks for the suggestions. Will try to figure out where to go with this, and I'll loop back and let everybody know if I get it out. Appreciate all the help.

BrettFuzz

Tele-Meister
I would actually do the opposite - put ice in a ziplock bag and ice it hoping it would shrink just enough to get it started.

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
Is it simply jammed?
I mean just by friction, not bonded by glue or finish (which seems unlikely)... ?
Is it possible to place the broad tip of a large screwdriver under the lip, and twist, levering it up?
An old credit card under the screwdriver would protect the finish... ?

:::

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
If I didn't care about the cup, I would tape the body to protect it and crank on it with Channelocs (aka water pump pliers). Plenty of meat there to twist with.

John Stephen

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Jeffro—thanks for the suggestion. Already tried prying with a screwdriver, but it didn’t budge.

Boreal—thanks also. I couldn’t get pliers on it because not enough of it was sticking out but I will try again tonight. I don’t have Channelics but have several pliers.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Jeffro—thanks for the suggestion. Already tried prying with a screwdriver, but it didn’t budge.

Boreal—thanks also. I couldn’t get pliers on it because not enough of it was sticking out but I will try again tonight. I don’t have Channelics but have several pliers.
Open them way up and set them flat on the body - don't just use the tips. Vice grips would also work. But the cup WILL be trashed.

Now keep in mind, Electrosockets come in two flavors - metric and US. Make sure the jack you want to use is the right size. You can usually find Electrosockets that come with a matching PureTone jack for a coupla bucks more.

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
If it's only the nut that comes loose I'd just put a dab of nail varnish or similar on the thread, tighten it and leave the rest as is.
I don't know if I'm just lucky but I've had quite a few teles and never had to change a jack socket, and they get plenty of use.

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
Already tried prying with a screwdriver, but it didn’t budge.
Just working on the assumption that is simply a bad fit, and jammed in by friction.
Applying brute force in this awkward location without wrecking your finish, seems to be the challenge :)
Have you tried THIS (pic below) type of levering, using something as a fulcrum?

lever.jpg

:::