Removing hiss

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by telleutelleme, Jan 6, 2013.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a backing track of Santana's Love is You which I really like, but there is a section at about 2:33 which has an underlying hiss (like a tape hiss almost). It goes away around 3:00 and is clean the rest of the way. I've found the track on numerous sites and they all appear to be clones of whomever produced the original. The hiss occurs in the highlighted portion shown below.

audacity001.jpg

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/santana,_carlos/love_is_you.htm

I'm looking for a method to detect and remove the hiss. There's no lead-in with just the hiss, it's embedded in the track. I have Reaper but I'm really new to it and am not sure how to approach the problem. I tried a couple noise removal methods in Audacity but I am unsure how to isolate just the hiss. My attempts so far have been FAIL. I've included the link to the download in case anyone wants to hear it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I use IZotope RX2 for hiss removal- it is extremely expensive though.
    Waves do some useful noise filtering plugins as well.

You will struggle to EQ it out though.

3. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

I'm not hearing noise there. I hear the ride midi cymbal start there. On the right I hear the sound of a stick playing the bow of the cymbal and what is supposed to be a "ringing" cymbal sound. On the left I hear just the "ringing" type sound without the stick sound.

The ringing sound on this midi sample is pretty bad. Could it be that you are thinking that fake cymbal ring is hiss?

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep, that's the ride cymbal.

5. telleutelleme

Not to my ears, but they are old and worn out. That doesn't appear to be a resonance type ring to me, rather white noise like a gain set way too high. It's also unique to that part of the track and I would expect the ride to occur elsewhere in the track. Again maybe it is just me. Doesn't sound good anyway. Thanks for listening and giving feedback (NPI).

EDIT: I went back to the link and listened again and I think you both may be right in that it occurs right when the ride kicks in and MAYBE it is the ring and probably a bad midi record as suggested.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The quickest giveaway in that track is that the sound is present during the ride cymbal section, but ceases as soon as the ride stops and the hi hats start back up.

7. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

I agree it's a cymbal.

8. telleutelleme

Thanks all. It won't sound so bad after I lay my guitar on it.:lol:

9. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Can definately hear it. Sounds like a ride cymbal (one of those ones with all the loose rivets on it!!). Seems to be more in the right channel. What about a de-esser in that part of the song on the right channel only?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.