Removing Glued Chip

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Jasonyeah, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Jasonyeah

Jasonyeah TDPRI Member

I picked up a beat up SG Special from the 90s. There is chip by the input jack that was poorly glued back in place (it's not even with the body). Any suggestions on how I could remove this chip to attempt to repair it more cleanly. Is there a way to relax / remove the glue holding it in place without destroying the finish? I'm not sure what kind of glue was used.

Thanks Folks.

Attached Files:

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I think you might want to find out what sort of finish is already on the guitar.

Unless it's lacquer you may find it easier to re-fin the whole thing.

3. Jasonyeah

Jasonyeah TDPRI Member

It's laquer. I'm not looking for an invisible repair just a little cleaner and more even.

4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

5. Jasonyeah

Jasonyeah TDPRI Member

The problem is the chip itself is raised a little too high on one side. I figured if I could remove it, re glue it evenly then touch up with a bit of nail polish, razor blade and wet sand that I could get a smooth repair. The part I'm trying to figure out is how to dissolve the old glue without causing more damage to the nitro finish.

6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Can you see raw wood under the input jack? That might be the cleanest way in. If you can see the wood after pulling up the input jack washer, I might start there to see if you can get a razor blade or exacto under the finish and the glue and maybe pop it off. Heating the blade might help some too.

7. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Is there access to the jack from the back of the guitar? The real question is what type of glue did they use to glue the chip back in. If it was yellow woodworkers glue like Titebond I, you can loosen it up with warm water. If they used Hide glue, heat is your friend, but anyone using Hide glue would have likely done a better job of the repair, so I doubt it's Hide glue. If they used Epoxy, you're probably out of luck. If you can access the chip from behind you could try applying some warm water to see if it would loosen up.

8. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

I would try heat. Use a wet cloth of some type and the tip of your wifes iron. Apply heat for 10 to 15 seconds, check it making sure the cloth doesn't dry out, and repeat. And if you can, try to remove it from where it is by the jack. Good luck.

9. Jasonyeah

Jasonyeah TDPRI Member

LeroyBlues - This method worked perfectly. Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.