1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Removing decal from headstock

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Darrenr75, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

I’ve got a Squier CV Jazzmaster neck that I’m putting onto a strat body (same scale length) and I’ve purchased a custom decal to replace it with.

My questions are:

1. What type of lacquer is typically over Squier CV necks? Poly or nitro?
    2. Do I need to sand down the whole headstock, then re-lacquer, then install the decals then lacquer again?

The finish on this neck seems to be darker than the CV Tele I also own, and I don’t want to end up with a different shade on the headstock than the rest of the back of the neck.

I’ve attached a photo that I hope helps

Attached Files:

Dismalhead and Steve Holt like this.
  2. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

The CV will be tinted poly.

3. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

So am I going to have a nightmare doing this changeover?

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

If you have never done something like this, you may find it tricky. There are two ways to approach it. You can a: re-do the whole neck; more work but best chance of a uniform finish. or b: carefully mask off the back and sides of the headstock and just spray the top. The second approach will work, if you get just the right amount of varnish, with uniform thickness around the edges, where the tape edge is. blobs or thin spots will be tough to hide. It'd definitely doable. Get some maple scraps and try a couple practice runs; you will get a feel for it. Good luck, post pictures.

Trying to do the back of the headstock, but not the whole neck will leave an edge that will be impossible to get rid of.

Deeve likes this.
  5. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

I’ve never attempted it and to be honest I want to do everything on this guitar!

I may go down option a.

Could I just tape up the fretboard to avoid that being touched at all?

6. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

The fretboard is laurel. Here’s a pic

Attached Files:

7. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

When I did this one I tried doing a partial refinish on the head stock only but with my skill set fat chance of getting a match so I ended up having to strip the entire neck. The real booger was the end grain area near the nut. The finish is deeper there and if you don't get all of it off including the underlying sealer it will turn out spotty. I finally got that done but frankly I don't think I ever want do it again.:(

[​IMG]

8. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Don’t understand why you need to change the label? Will this make the guitar play better?

jh

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I consider this kind of job too much work to bother with. Don’t let that stop you though. The logo is buried deep, and it’s quite possible you will need get close to bare wood to remove it. To do it flawlessly, I’d strip the entire neck, but that’s too much work when I could just buy an unfinished Allparts neck and go that route. Partial refinish and Matching the tint? It’s doable but without a complete strip it will never be a perfect match, but that may not matter.

I’ve done a few Squire re-decal jobs, and in all cases I just matched headstock top to the body color. Since some people hate that, it might not be an option for you. In this case the VMJM was only scuff sanded, the original decal is intact below the Oly white paint.

8AB2A5B2-908A-45F9-B62E-CD3BB4E418F3.jpeg

10. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

I’ve found a chap called Graham Wheeler in Washington, West Sussex.

He’s asked me to tape of the sides of the headstock and from behind the nut over to the fretboard - then sand down the whole of the headstock face with gradually finer sandpaper to around 400 grade.

I’ll post it to him with the decals and he’ll do the rest.

It needs to be sealed and lacquered before the decal can go on, then lacquer a number of times to finish it off.

He said he won’t be able to 100% match the shade but it will be close and unnoticeable.

11. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

I’m not relabelling as a Fender Stratocaster - but my own custom design. Mainly because I want to!

That Cal Webway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.