Removing a glued in bone nut

give me the toan

Tele-Meister
How should I remove a bone nut I attached to a neck using wood glue? I've been tapping at the sides with a screw punch, wiggling it with pliers, but I feel like I'm getting jack **** done. I think I may have used a bit too much wood glue when I attached it...

Novatuc

Tele-Meister
If it is really stuck you can use a fine saw to cut it in half across the fretboard then just crush it. Otherwise keep doing what you're doing. Sometimes parts of the bone are porous and the glue gets in the holes to really stick it in there.

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
If you haven't already, score all sides of the nut where it meets the slot. And then try tapping from the sides.

If that doesn't work, then you can use a soldering iron as a heat source to soften the glue joint. Bone doesn't scorch that easily, but you could place a damp shop towel in between the bone and iron as a protector. And then tap away

Once it moves a little, it should come out pretty easily thereafter.

FWIW, I only place 2 tiny dabs of wood glue in the nut slot. Just enough to keep the nut in place when replacing strings.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I would think wood glue would come loose fairly easy. I guess not. I use CA glue.
I usually take a sharp knife or tiny chisel and place it right where the nut meets the neck, tap lightly and it wedges the glue apart. If a chisel shape, have the slope of the tip up so it doesnt damage the neck wood.
Another method is to tap the nut on the body side lightly after scoring all around the nut. SO it falls toward the headstock. But I prefer the wedging up from the side better.
Any way you do it , it's scary!

give me the toan

Tele-Meister
Update: It's out! Just had to consistently tap for a little until it fell on the floor 🙃. Now, though, I need a new one with a flat bottom and a vintage (7.25 in) radius - suggestions?

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
Update: It's out! Just had to consistently tap for a little until it fell on the floor 🙃. Now, though, I need a new one with a flat bottom and a vintage (7.25 in) radius - suggestions?
Nice!

Most aftermarket/pre-slotted nuts do require some degree of finessing, regardless of the supplier. If you can't manufacture your own, I'd suggest taking it to a luthier who can.

A perfectly cut nut separates the good guitars from the great IMO. So it's the worth the investment.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire

I like Tusq pre-formed nuts.

Just curious - what neck is it? Many of the 7.25" necks I have come across have had radiused nut slot, not flat.

give me the toan

Tele-Meister
I like Tusq pre-formed nuts.

Just curious - what neck is it? Many of the 7.25" necks I have come across have had radiused nut slot, not flat.
It's a 7.25 radius neck, a BYOGuitar Jag Neck which, unlike my previous Allparts Jag necks, has a flat nut slot for whatever reason, thus a pain in the ass to find a good nut for it

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
It's a 7.25 radius neck, a BYOGuitar Jag Neck which, unlike my previous Allparts Jag necks, has a flat nut slot for whatever reason, thus a pain in the ass to find a good nut for it
it shouldn't be too bad. just get a flat blank and size it and cut the slots etc. Making a nut and getting it right is no small feat, but a flat bottom 7 1/4 is really no worse than any other nut.

get a couple of blanks and try it. It might take a couple of tries?

Thebluesman

Tele-Holic
How should I remove a bone nut I attached to a neck using wood glue? I've been tapping at the sides with a screw punch, wiggling it with pliers, but I feel like I'm getting jack **** done. I think I may have used a bit too much wood glue when I attached it...
Next time USE plastic glue adhesive-a]it will hold firm removable without damage to the wood.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When I did repairs, I’d apply lemon oil to the perimeter of the nut.
I’d let it soak in for awhile, maybe 30 minutes.
I’d then gently apply pressure with my thumbs to the nut.
It worked every time, with no tear out or damage to the slot.
I’d use the same lemon oil used for fingerboards.