1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Remove lacquer topcoat only?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by stratisfied, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

That’s a limited Mary Kaye will be 100% nitrocellulose over a polyurethane sealer. They all were except the thin skin series and 2012-2017 American vintage series.

So yes you have lacquer over polyurethane. They all are except what I mentioned.

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

You said you could wipe off the clear coat to get down to the color coat if the color coat is poly. As I said in my last post, it is not. It will wipe off clear and color, and leave you with nothing but the urethane sealer. There’s no need to experiment. That is simply how AVRIs were finished.

While I hesitate to use the word "never,” I'm going to do it. Fender never applied lacquer clear coats over poly color coats. Any time you see lacquer over urethane, the urethane is serving only as the wood sealer, with lacquer color and clear over it.

Fender did, however, use plenty of poly clear over lacquer color from 1968 all through the 70s…all of which was over a conversion varnish sealer.

I didn’t say that there was not selective yellowing. I said it doesn’t look that bad.

What you can do is take off all the lacquer using lacquer thinner. That should leave your sealer coat intact, so you can reuse it. Then you spray new color and clear. Or, you can skip the clear coats entirely, which will reduce the yellowing in the future. You won’t get as high of a gloss, but you can still get it plenty glossy.

If you want to go more vintage correct with the finish, you need to strip off that urethane sealer coat, which can be quite a job. If you don’t give a damn about vintage correct, then do your best to reuse the existing sealer. It will make your life 10 times easier. That means use lacquer thinner or acetone, not a paint stripper. Even paint strippers that don’t do a good job at stripping urethane can sometimes still mar its surface a bit. That would be the worst possible scenario. You want the sealer intact and undamaged, or removed completely...not 95 percent intact and 5 percent damaged.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Fender-guy likes this.
  3. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

I just picked up a new body for it. Not a Mary Kaye but a Fender White Blonde. Price was right and it will work out fine while I fool around with the original.

4. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

Haven't touched the old body yet. Too many other projects at the moment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.