Remove foot, insert compressor...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Festofish, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Keeley Compressor +.
    Works.

neilybob100 likes this.
  2. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

[QUOTE="I almost bought it, but went with a boutique builder who was somewhat inexpensive. “[/QUOTE]

You can’t say that and not give any details! Spill man.

3. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Boss CP-1X FTW !

[​IMG]
    Show me another Compressor pedal with a gain reduction meter :D
    'Comp' effectively works like Threshold, IME.

FenderLover and RetroTeleRod like this.
  4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I would like to try one of those someday. :cool:

5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I'm really new to using and understanding compression and I just received my pedal literally two days ago so haven't used it much. This is a guy who markets specifically to praise and worship guitarists (he gives discounts to churches that use his stuff) and so I thought for the price he was offering it was worth the look. I can't say whether its any good or not, because I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one. It's quiet, and the controls do something that so far seems pleasing or useful to me, but I'm still sorta working out how to assess its performance. It's an OTA based that uses an LM13700 chip, so I don't know, maybe "Ross" flavored 5-knob comp?

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/westminster-effects.1017088/

I will say, Keeley has an impeccable reputation when it comes to compressors so if you can find one of his with four or more features then you've got something. I watched him talk about his GC-2 and found it interesting that he generally doesn't like "attack" and "release" features, I guess he thinks they should be set at one value and just left there. And that's what he's done with that pedal. So he's got two more knobs inside that you aren't allowed to change, ha.

One thing I would add is that it seems like its really important for you to know why you want a compressor before you buy one. In my thread, I explain what I'm looking for. I got a Dyna Comp for free and had no idea what I wanted to do with it or what it does and it was a disappointment. I wrongly assumed that since I didn't like that pedal, that compression was not for me. It seems like you've got a pretty good idea what you want to do with it, so that's good. I sorta laugh at these compressor threads where someone says "recommend a comp for me" with no other information and everyone throws out names of compressors that do wildly different things.

Is it a tool, is it an effect? Just answering that question seems to really narrow down the search for me.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  6. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

He lost me at the “Jesus is King” pedal.

7. JuneauMike

Lost you? Did you not read it? It's a limited edition run of their Edwards OD pedal to somehow spoof Kanye West. But, guess they can't all be home runs.

Isn't that right, Boss Metal Zone?

In any case, you are looking for a compressor pedal and it sounds like you need one with a threshold feature of some kind and some way to manipulate the ratio. I'm sure Keeley has something for you. Someone was telling me that Empress makes a compressor that has a "blend" feature that lets you mix in the uncompressed guitar sound with the compressed. Seems like that is just simulating a very transparent compressor effect. But to my thinking, I just don't see why you'd compress some of the sound and then bypass some of it and thus defeat the purpose of compression in the first place. But ok.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  8. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

I like the big Ego Compressor (haven’t tried the mini version). It sounded really good as a sweetener, not as squashy as a Dyna Comp and more pleasing to my ear than a Keeley.

If you want it as a country picking effect, I’d go for a CS-3. Otherwise if you want more of an all around compressor, for me it’s the Ego hands down.

9. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon TDPRI Member

I bought a TC electronics Force field compressor I works like a compressor should coast me 45$ upload_2020-4-9_13-49-41.jpeg

10. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

So many 1 and 2-knob compressors do NOT do what many 4 and 5-knob compressors can do. They are collectively much different than Overdrive 1 compared to Overdrive 2.

But if you try one with a blend, you shouldn't be surprised to find it might be exactly what you want.

11. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Lost me as in I’m no longer interested in the pedals or supporting the company based on their overtly religious themes. Pass.

12. JuneauMike

Yeah, those aren't for you. They're for us. That's why I'm suggesting the Keeley. :cool:

13. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I second the Dyna Comp Deluxe. If you like the regular Dyna, this one adds all the extra stuff you need to just tweak things a bit.

I don't know much about that pedal in particular, but your description of it sounds like the exact opposite of what I hear with the Dyna Comp Deluxe... It's my "always on" pedal, it just makes everything pop and sparkle.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Little Xotic SP is basically a DC / Ross comp with a blend knob. Sounds good a they are cheap. The TC Hyper Gravity is a very good one and you can pick what controls you want on it. You can assign any of the four knobs to whatever you want. It has a Dyna Comp mode that is spot on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.