Remote Speaker output jack for Roland Cube

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Rick-Robertson, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Rick-Robertson

Rick-Robertson TDPRI Member

Hey, all. I’m new here and short of changing tubes in my Blues Jr, I know just enough about amps to kill myself.

However, I’m pretty good at reading wiring diagrams and even better with a soldering pencil.

I’d like to install an output jack into my Roland Cube Street to run a 12” Jensen speaker I have, but at 7 watts, I’m not sure the amp will even warm up the speaker. If possible, I’d like to use the remote speaker as well as the two 6” speakers in the amp at the same time. Perhaps even install a 1mg pot to control remote speaker volume?

Any thoughts, or a dumb idea?

DaphneBlue likes this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Are you after extra volume? A 'Jensen speaker' new or old won't make your amp sound like a vintage amp or Fender. The odds are your two internal speakers are already at the lowest/optimal load for the Roland power amp. Adding another speaker in parallel will most likely just drop power if the combined speaker load is higher impedance and/or the amp may effectively ignore the Jensen.

If the two internal speakers happen to be a pair of 4ohm speakers in parallel and you add a third it's likely the pair inside will get almost all the power and your external load almost nothing.

Or, if the amp is already at it's lowest impedance and you add a third it might lower impedance to less than designed for - pfffft.

We'd need to know what impedance speakers and how they're connected.

So the odds are the result will be either disappointing or you could simply have the amp cutout or blow up.

By the time you add the price of the speaker and cabinet you could have bought another more suitable size amp.

3. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I wouldn't.
    Modding the Roland like that will reduce its resale value. IMO, if the Roland wasn't up to the job, I would sell and replace it.
    Some combo's are moddable, but I don't think the Roland lands in this category.
    A combo like this has specific speakers matched to the amp; I doubt you'd gain much (or anything) by adding an external speaker.

4. Rick-Robertson

Rick-Robertson TDPRI Member

Thanks, gents. That’s kinda what I thought. I replaced the Jensen C12-N speaker that came with my Blues Jr with an Eminence Cannibus Rex, but I like the Roland the way it is and this was just an idea to use the Jensen rather than have it sit on a shelf in my shop.

I’ll post the Jensen speaker on Kijiji and some local boards......appreciate the input (or output)....lol.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Rick, solid state amps differ from tube amps in that they are less forgiving of a mismatch to the low side. You can mismatch to the high side all you want....and all that will happen is that you lose output power. That is, if a solid state amp makes 100 watts at the minimum allowable load...say 4 ohms...and you go to an 8 ohm load, the amp will make only 50 watts...16 ohms will allow an output of 25 watts.
    If you paralleled another 4 ohm load with that existing 4 ohm load, the output would burn up...dead amp...or in the words above by Dacious....pfft!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.