Reminder: Always bring your #2

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
This weekend, we had our final rehearsal before our 1st gig in a couple of years. We ran thru the set and were working thru it again and just killing it. All of a sudden, bwam, broke a string on my number 1. My number 2 was in a case at my house and no 2nd set of strings. Practice over.

You couldn't struggle though the rehearsal with a string missing? ... for the sake of your band mates if nothing else.

More important than bringing multiple guitars to rehearsal... a bag with a set of strings and a spare cable in.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That sounds like my approach. I only had one guitar, an old LP-SG Custom. I was playing an average of five or six hours a day between the five sets five days a week plus practice, jams, rehearsals, etc. New strings every two weeks. Spare set in the case. Never broke a string.

A side-benefit for me to carrying just one guitar to a gig, is to hear how music played, maybe not associated with the guitar I bring, comes out sounding...( clunky sentence, I know)
It's fun!

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
For a few years in my mid twenties, I carried only one bass (I was initially a bassist), a rather expensive Status Series II. I though it would never fail me. Then, one night on a gig, the jack socket came away, internally. Completely banjaxed and no way to immediately repair it.

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
This weekend, we had our final rehearsal before our 1st gig in a couple of years. We ran thru the set and were working thru it again and just killing it. All of a sudden, bwam, broke a string on my number 1. My number 2 was in a case at my house and no 2nd set of strings. Practice over.

I'm thinking something or someone was trying to tell me something. Like, "hey dingdong, don't forget your number 2 guitar!". At least it was rehearsal and not at the gig!

It also got me wondering if anyone has had anything like that happen AT the gig?
I’ve ony broken strings at a dozen or so gigs during the entire time I’ve been playing out, about 42 years. I always had spare strings but didn’t always have another guitar. For the past 35 years or so I’ve brought a spare guitar AND a set of strings to gigs and rehearsals. It’s nice to know if I break a string I can reach over and grab a spare guitar to finish the set, then replace the broken string on break. Peace of mind is a good thing.

Our drummer once changed a broken bass drum head out in what seemed like under 10 minutes so we could finish rehearsing. That was impressive. That included mounting it back in place, ready to play.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
In each of my cases/gig bags I have extra cables, strings, string winder, slide, capo, a pair of wire cutters, knife and a small flashlight.

In my Pelican gig case (which I use to transport my pedal board), I have extra guitar cables, extra mic cables, XLR to 1/4” converter, extra mic, extra guitar strap, extra 9V batteries, a power strip, a tiny fold-up guitar stand, a small/skinny mic stand, and a half-dozen other “extras”.

I don’t use a pick very often, but I carry a half-dozen picks of different sizes and thicknesses as well as a set of drumsticks for when a bandmate has a problem.

I’ve considered buying one of those “amp in a pedal” things for “oh crap” amp failure moments, but I haven’t done so yet.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Short answer is no, I always had a spare set of strings at any gig. Slightly longer answer is that almost everytime I broke a string during a gig it was the high E and I could play around a missing high E until until a set break to change it.

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's
I play electric guitar at our church (lead singer plays acoustic, keys, drums and bass). I don’t break strings very often (it’s been years since the last break?) but always have a spare set in the case. I usually only take one guitar if the acoustic is there because I can change out a string during the sermon for the last part of the “set” we play. I usually take the Tele and the Jazzmaster if I need to capo a guitar or tune down one for a particular song.

Breaking a string on the Tele is no biggie as far as staying in tune but my Jazzmaster doesn’t have a trem lock (Squier CV) so breaking a string on that during a song would pretty much require some tuning or just changing out the string.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I’d say bring extra strings, cables, batteries (if needed), and any other consumable items. For me it’s not feasible to bring a second guitar.

Yeah, this for me, too.

I'm thinking between guitar players we bring one beater as a backup to get us through the show in case something goes terribly wrong with one of our main guitars...maybe.

But frankly, I hear stories of theft and I'm wary of bringing another guitar I have to keep track of, especially one of any kind of value.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I am that guy that has extra strings, straps, picks, a soldering iron, tough up paint, torque wrench, WD40, duct tape, masking tape, painters tape, VCR tape, extra DVDs, two ipads and a mini amp in my go bag.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I always have a second guitar. If people are having a good time and you suddenly stop in the middle of a set, that's is a good way to ruin it and lose part of your crowd.

Last edited:

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
I bring 2 guitars to a gig and it's been years since I've broken a string but just in case. Sometimes it's fun just to switch things up halfway through a night and play both. Sometimes not.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
bringing #2 is good.
Always having spare strings and batteries and etc is ESSENTIAL.
Any time you do ANYTHING inside an amp or guitar, bring #2 to the next gig.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted

I'm thinking something or someone was trying to tell me something. Like, "hey dingdong, don't forget your number 2 guitar!". At least it was rehearsal and not at the gig!

It also got me wondering if anyone has had anything like that happen AT the gig?
Hope you weren't playing something with a Floyd Rose.

OlRedNeckHippy

Poster Extraordinaire
I play both acoustic and electric guitar every gig.
My gig bag has in it:

At least 1 full set of both acoustic & electric strings
in ZipLock bags, clearly labeled in Sharpie "Elec" & "Acoustic", in an exterior pouch for quick access.
also...
Spare vocal mic
2 or 3 mic clips
Spare guitar strap
Spare Mic & Guitar chords
Assorted screws, fuses, screwdrivers, pliers
Doorstops (tilt back amp system)
micro USB charger w/ 6' chord

But that's at a gig, not a practice. Still, I'd have a spare set of strings in my guitar case.

Maybe we should create a thread: "My gig bag has...."

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
I always bring two guitars, partly to have a backup, but also because I use different guitars for different songs--I like having one b-bender guitar and one with a trem at a gig. Lately it has been my b-bender Telecaster and my Jaguar.

I change strings every so many practices/gigs, but I have had both of those guitars break strings while practicing. The b in the Tele is a little more susceptible to breaking and the Jag tremolo can put stress on the strings at the ball end. I always bring a spare set even though it rarely happens.

I've never had a string break at a gig, but I did have the Telecaster slip off the strap and land face down once during a gig. I just grabbed the other guitar and kept playing.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic

I had a gig a few months back where I broke my G string at the end of the first set. I didn't have any extra strings but luckily, the drummer knew a guitar player that he played with who lived near by and he was able to bring my a new string on set break. Now, I never leave home without an extra set of strings and both my guitars have a pack in the gig bag just in case.

Teddyjack

Friend of Leo's
I always bring a second guitar to gigs and I carry a bag with extra cords, batteries, flashlight, wire cutter, strings, power strip...just in case. When I play through my BF Fender I'll bring an extra amp too.