Remembrance of the Dead - and important day over here

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, May 4, 2019.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

It's an important day here in Holland. I have mentioned it before, and I will do so again now.

On this day (4 May) we pay respect to those citizens and military personnel who died during WWII, and in conflicts since then.

The date was chosen (I believe) because it is the day before the celebration of then liberation of the Netherlands after years of occupation by the Germans during WWII.

These were extremely difficult and hard times, and I invite all my friends who have never experienced anything remotely like this, to try and imagine what it must be like to live under the authority and domination of a foreign army; an army which rules by violence and terror, and whose primary task is to keep the population submissive, and to strip the land of any resources which may be of value for the occupying nation. Food, materials, motor vehicles and bicycles, people who can work as slave-labor. It was truly a terrible and desperate time. It ended with the liberation, but the last months between the D-day invasion and the final liberation of the Netherlands were a horrible time.

Tonight we will have our ceremony at the Dam square in Amsterdam. There will be some short speeches, and many floral arrangements will be lain in honor of victims. And the main event - 2 minutes of silence, observed nationwide - will once again be impressive.

A lot of this is still real here. It is not as long ago as many young people seem to think. It is still living memory for many.

[​IMG]

2. Miguel-martinez

Miguel-martinez TDPRI Member

Glad to see how you remember yuor people, this will always make you value life, something that seems to be missing nowadays.

3. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

Keep posting, keep reminding, keep remembering. Because we keep forgetting.
    All respect - Deeve

4. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Never forgotten .

5. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

Yep - Never forget. We have Memorial day in remembrance of all who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the country. Now due to our present education beliefs, history is being sullied or is attempting to be erased. Many just want the day off and don't know or care why.

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I extend my love and remembrance to all those who've gone before to make the world livable, and join in your county's observation of those who suffered and were lost in the process. Salute!

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Too soon, and too often forgotten. I salute you and your countrymen for remembering.

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thank you for posting this. It is a necessary reminder. It tracks with the Yom HaShoah observances that made the news a couple of days ago.

There were many of the Dutch people who were patriots, people of conviction and courage in the face of such brutal oppression. I wish I knew the names of more such heroes, but the ten Boom family comes immediately to mind. Corrie ten Boom's books were published here in America in the mid 1970s, and made a big impact on me. Our three children were born during this time, and Corrie's book In My Father's House was for me a handbook for parenting. Casper ten Boom, a man who died a decade before I was born and 5,000 miles away, became a role model for me as a father.

9. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Works for me....respect to all of your Fallen and all others that put themselves in harms' way by serving.

Carry on....

telestratosonic and jhundt like this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

this is the very least we could do for those who allow us our freedoms for us here its November 11th called Rememberance Day

I got married on November 10th so i would always rememeber what my parents fought for and i would never forget my aniversary.

absolute respect for all the fallen!

11. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

What a coincidence....your anniversary will be celebrated on the same day as the USMC birthday....good choice.

Back to topic...

24 track likes this.
  12. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

It's good to see the depth of your feelings and respect for your adopted nation, Jon.

I wish you a good Dutch remembrance day.

13. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

My dad drove munitions under Patton. He refused to talk about the war, other than the annual winter speech about how much colder it was in Bastogne. I know that they went on to liberate camps, and that is what he used to justify his untreated alcoholism. War affects everyone, sometimes decades after the fact, and it all sucks.

Wallo Tweed and boredguy6060 like this.
  14. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

When I read the thread title, I thought this was going to be about the Grateful Dead. But regarding WWII, I think it's a shame that too many young people don't remember this war and why we had no choice but to fight it. And I don't think schools really teach kids today the importance of remembering why people died for an important cause.

Old Deaf Roadie, LocoTex and Jim622 like this.
  15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I was born on November 11th, in 1953, while it was still called Armistice Day. So for as long as I can remember, I've had an annual awareness of the sacrifices of soldiers, and an inclination to honor veterans. I had an uncle (my father's twin brother) who served in the Army during the Korean conflict. My best friend served in the Navy during the Vietnam war, another friend was a chopper pilot in Nam. When the film We Were Soldiers came out in the theaters, he and I went to see it together, before we took our wives. As we walked out of the theater, be didn't say a thing for the longest time. When he finally did, he just said simply, "Larry, I don't know how they did it...but that was exactly what it was like."

24 track likes this.
  16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

We must never forget.
    In the US, it is the 49th anniversary of the Kent State student shooting.
    We must never forget.

17. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

[Trying not to be political] With the current situation in the UK reading this makes me nervous and sad.

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

I had a very close friend when i lived in the Yukon (early 70's) who was an officer in Nam he gave us some of his posessions when he left back to the states , including his rifles uniform dress shirts etc a year later he returned back and we returned his items to hin that we stored , one night over a cold beer in scotties and geordies pub I asked him about what it was like over there , His eyes went very cold , he grabbed his pint of beer with both hands and drank the whole beer to the bottom while his hands shook violently, the looked at me and said " I dont want to talk about it " I appologized for my ignorance , but his scars ran unbelievably deep , no one should have to expirience that much pain.

he is a fine person and to this day I respect the crap out privacy. he earned it

19. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

All countries have darkness in their past. It is our duty to not forget the good, bad, and ugly, and move forward. There is a lot to be said for forgiveness.

20. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I was born five years after WWII. About all of our fathers served and it seemed very recent because it was. It still seems recent to me today because I listened to so many of my father’s rememberances, and have read so many books about it.

It is hard to imagine it now but any astute reader of history realizes that it can and does repeat itself. Thanks for sharing jhundt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.