Remembering my intimate ZZ Top experience.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Aug 3, 2021.

1. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

Something I did in my senior year in high school had me on a tight rope where I wasn't allowed to see the now famous ZZ Top tour - something related to my being an adventurous teen much different than my WWI/depression era folks.

Before their Madison, WI show my mother stopped at the coliseum to get tickets for something else and you could hear a sound check. We went into the arena and maybe it was evident I was a teen on a short leash or my mother's generally friendly demeanor but someone nodded us towards the stage and they actually played a medley of their then hits for a while and called my mother mam. We stayed for the whole sound check.

I did not get to go to the show but could tell my friends I actually saw them.

By the time I was a senior the parents had a pretty good idea of what went on at the concerts. Funny to think in the 70s and 18 year old legal drinking, they also let us carpool to shows with older kids before we could drive. It would be someone buying alcohol, someone doing other shopping on campus, and almost always someone puking in a parent's car.

:)

2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Cool story .

imwjl and Torren61 like this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Been there and done that. Grew up with 3 older brothers, terrible influences.:lol:

imwjl and Torren61 like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks!

imwjl likes this.
  5. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

The first time I saw ZZTop live was when they, along with The Fabulous Thunderbirds, opened for the Rolling Stones in 1981 in the Houston Astrodome... heck of a day let me tell you!!

I was on the floor of the Dome, general admission, pressed up against the barricade just feet away from ZZ and then later The Rolling Stones.

Has it been 40 years gone by quick? I guess it has...

imwjl and Slip Kid like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.