Remembering jazz guitarist on YouTube, non-pro, demo/vanity

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Picture FBI mole Robert Hanssen standing in front of a camera, playing some very creditable and solid stuff on an arch-top.

I saw a YouTube video around 2010. People were posting vids of them playing in their bedrooms, but not very convincingly. In contrast, my mystery guitarist stood in front of some background texture and wore a suit with a solid T-shirt. Tall and a little heavy, he looked like an accountant or financial advisor (or lawyer). Didn't look like a happy guy and was pretty stone faced.

It appeared that he worked up a number of tunes, some with backing tracks. He sounded like Jim Hall, Wes Montgomery without the octaves, and was clean, balanced, and straight ahead. Not really exciting or energetic, but very consistent and controlled, yet not without emotion.

The vid might have been b&w, and he seemed not to talk or make expressive faces.

Compared to the bedroom vids of the time, this was a step up in terms of professionalism. I have been planning on recording some blues solos, played live with no edits. This vid has been sort of a model for what I'm trying to do. No talking or goofing around, just playing it straight.

I hadn't bookmarked it and it has been several years since I played it. And with the passage of time, who knows which of my observations and memories have gotten jumbled. I've learned that I can mis-remember all kinds of things. It's a given with me.

I know this is an impossible task, but I wonder if anyone has come across anything like this. He's very straight looking and does not look like a musician that you would normally see on YouTube. But he had a very clean and simple video presentation, and played pretty well for the non-pro that I remember.

Well?

The term "vanity" used to be heard more often, and this vid had that kind of look. With the internet, vanity projects are now known as other things.

2. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Martin Taylor sometimes wears a suit with a dark tshirt.

3. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

More recently, he looks like an older CPA. Definitely a great arch top player.

4. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

I’m not sure if this is the guy you’re looking for?

5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Thanks, but not yet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.