1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Remember when we all wore pants?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Nov 25, 2020.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hate the way these excess thingies on such pants, get caught on drawer knobs in the kitchen or get caught on branches and stuff while you're forging through heavy vegetation.

I mostly cut that superfluous stuff off if I can. Besides, when we're out hiking, making rapid elevation changes, I don't need that extra stuff. Too much stuff being toted around, doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather have a fighting chance with a boar hog or wild bear - IMO part of why they seem so quick is, they don't carry all this garbage.

I think long pants gives a fellow a false sense of security about ticks. Best advice? Let your neighbors hunt the whitetail deer down to nothing - ticks seem to disappear then.

superjam144 likes this.
  2. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

SLACKS...chicks dig 'em! Just look at the advertisements above. Shorts are for school boys, or Angus Young.

RomanS, JRapp and Thinliner like this.
  3. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Ah but these new travel pants are specially designed not to have superfluous extensions that get caught on stuff. New design conceals these special pockets. I’d rather not be naked and afraid. I like the utility provided. Besides I can carry my trusty K bar for such varmints and ticks well, that’s another problem.

4. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Why wear pants when you can wear demure, innocent-looking A-line skirts?

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm putting these in my Amazon wish list. They'd look awesome while I'm cutting down 100' trees next spring.:cool:

gregulator450 and telemnemonics like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I'll need some boots like this guy:

telemnemonics and bgmacaw like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

All you guys who say shorts are bad?

You and your legs need to get out more!

Unless you're, uh, protecting the rest of us from something?

8. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Yep, or eccentric British anthropologists in pith helmets.

gregulator450 and RomanS like this.
  9. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Fellow geezers will remember in the '60s and before, shorts just were not worn in school by girls or boys, all ages through h/s. At least in Texas...
    Girls wore modest dresses, guys wore long pants with a belt and shirt tucked in properly. No tee shirts, whether plain or printed.
    No beards or sideburns and hair had to be off the collar.
    Dress codes were enforced too. I was once sent home to change out my bell-bottom jeans.
    The only place I can recall were shorts were widely worn was in the Boy Scouts were it was standard summer uniform.
    I'm pretty sure I wore a button front shirt nearly every day throughout my school years.
    Dress standards were strict but I for one didn't care.
    Fast forward to the '90s, my kids wore school uniforms (khakis/polo shirt) and they didn't really mind either.
    Second daughter got into HSPVA (High School For Performing and Visual Arts) in Houston and there was absolutely no limits of dress. Bikini and flip-flops? Yep, for real.
    The trick was that every kid in Houston wanted to go to HSPVA and it was a smallish school. One discipline offense and you lost your place.
    I met a bunch of seriously talented kids there as I was a designated transport parent.

M

Harry Styron likes this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

if everyone wore shorts..

we'd know who was wearing control bracelets on their ankles...:twisted::lol:

ankle.jpg

11. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

This thread was started at 10:49 am this morning and we're at page 6....

We all desperately need to be playing at a live gig, in pants or shorts or kilts (leaning towards this idea more and more..) or even just Depends.
    Summon forth the Blackguards!!

Just sayin'.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

yojimbo likes this.
  12. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love my cargo shorts and pseudo-hiking shorts. My wife looks at me like I'm nuts for wearing a t-shirt and pullover on top of a pair of cargos. It's just so freeing to wear shorts. Commando is a nice change of pace too.

13. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

Obviously most here have never been part of an arena or larger concert. Almost every traveling crew member will be in shorts, no matter how cold, for load in and load out. A good percentage of local crew also. Showtime might require some of them to put on show blacks, which may or may not require long pants. I mean, are you as a musician on stage going to tell the guy hanging several tons of equipment over your head what to wear?

Me, I’ll wear shorts whenever I can. I have a deal with my boss, if the students are on campus, no shorts. Otherwise whatever.

gregulator450 likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Durn, I traded muh mule for a pure breed dog and I ended up with a parts possum?

15. kingofdogs1950

I haven't thought about it for a while, but when I moved in with my brother both he and his son were wearing such bracelets.
    They had to have two land lines dedicated to the devices.
    Yes, stories are involved.
    A monkey wired the phones and managed to cross the wires. Constant problems! This was just prior to common use of cell phones.

M

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

In Oz pants is shot for panties, women's underwear.
    We older gents don't generally wear shorts in public unless it's very hot ( over 100 F) which it will be tomorrow and hot summer is predicted.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

In rural Oklahoma and Missouri in the 50s and 60s, young boys commonly wore long jeans and no shirts and often no shoes in the summer, except for going to church. Short pants on boys were only for toddlers. School shoes for boys, if you had the money, were PF Flyers, Keds or Converse high tops. The J. C. Penney, Wards and Sears store brand shoes were less expensive.

There was a fad of “clamdiggers” for girls and boys in the early 60’s, which were kind of like Capri pants. I started seeing boys wear Bermuda shorts in the late 60s. For swimming in the creeks, we wore cutoff jeans.

RomanS and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  18. kingofdogs1950

I remember clamdiggers, but then I lived in Corpus Christi, a beach town.
    In my quoted post I am referring only to school, especially late '60s.
    Everyone saw what was going on in San Francisco and such and we wanted that!
    Hippies really didn't exist in CC and long hair would get you an a** whipping if you went to the wrong places.
    Few of my friends had long hair except for one guy who had dropped out of school.
    Note: It just occurred to me that my long haired friend and band mate was literally the only person I knew who dropped out of school.
    Strange...

M

19. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

I've been wearing pants... just don't ask how long it's been since I washed this pair! :eek:

20. Jef

Jef Tele-Holic

everything is more fun without pants!
    (except barbecueing)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.