Remember Peavey "B W equipped" amps (80s)?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by homesick345, Dec 17, 2019.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

2. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

imgres-1.jpg BW = Black Widow

Tim S, 985plowboy, BobbyZ and 6 others like this.
  3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

2 Headed Goat and Si G X like this.
  4. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

That brings back some memories... my local guitar shop was a big Peavey dealer in the 80's and 90's

Yeah Black Widow speakers, Scorpion were the other Peavey speakers I remember.

homesick345 likes this.
  5. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I had a Deuce 120watts through 2 x 12" Black Widows.
    It was built like a tank and virtually unbreakable.
    It was so heavy that I later gave it to my kids' high school because it was just too much for me to lump around.
    I don't think I ever got the volume past 2 either.
    I mostly use my tiny Matamp Spirit now or my Mesa Boogie F30 if I need more grunt. Both more civilised in the weight dept.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  6. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Ahhhh
    The Peavey Classic had tubes, two 12 inch speakers , 2 channels and onboard tremolo later became Phase shifter.
    You were a neighborhood rock god with one of those back in the day.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think that the Scorpion was incredible.

philpm, SPUDCASTER and schenkadere like this.
  8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am playing 2 15" Widows in my bass cabinet, which is also extremely useful with my Dual Showman Reverb. That rig can alter heartbeats at 20 paces.

9. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I still have my Deuce .... bought it new back in the day. An under rated amp and it is loud ... real loud. I don't use it much any more because it is too heavy for me to lug around ... I'm getting old. The main reason that I keep it around is to Pi$$ of the neighbors when they get me irritated. 2AM is a gret time to play the national anthem on 11.

10. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I saw the title of this thread and perked right up. My first decent amp was a Peavey Bandit. It would have been somewhere around 1985/86. Drug that amp back and forth to school all the time. I used it for jazz band and after school a small rock band had permission to use the school's band room. That amp would sit in the back of my '76 Mercury Monarch all day, 0 degrees to 100 degrees. I'd grab it after school, plug it in, turn it on and GO. I didn't know any better. Great memory.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

homesick345 likes this.
  12. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yep - still have my original 50 watt bandit. Reverb tank is dead, but other than that, it works like the day I bought it. Loud and clean, but with some character. I wasn’t crazy about the Scorpion speaker, myself - it had its thing going on and had its own character, but was a bit too clean. I liked the Scorpions much better for bass in a 2 x 12 Yamaha bass cabinet I had. The Black Widow is my all time favorite bass speaker - it’s loud, clean and seems to emphasize just the right frequencies to make the bass punchy and shine through a band mix. Used a Peavy Databass class D SS bass combo with a 15” BW for a while and nothing could beat it.

The bandit got an EV SRO speaker for a while, which I can’t say was really an improvement over the Scorpion. It was really mid-rangy in the open back combo. I put an Eminence private jack in it about 15 years ago and that’s a keeper. It’s a really good match for that amp.

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

What were the Peavey amp the original Lynrd Skynrd band tour with?
    THink a couple were tube, before the classic series.

14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Black Widow speakers! In 1980 or thereabouts I was working as a roadie. I worked on a tour where Elvis Costello and the Attractions were headlining. I think we did 60 cities or so. Elvis had a sponsorship deal with Peavey, so the whole group (guitar, bass, keys) were using Peavey amps, with BW speakers. They were blowing them up continuously, every third stop or so there would be a package of speakers waiting to replace the dead ones.

homesick345 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  15. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I love them old Black Widow speakers. I still have an old SX-212 Cab loaded with original 1201-8 Black Widow Guitar speakers....the ones with the flat magnet and spider graphics. These even had the paper dust caps, whereas most had the aluminum caps. To this day, this is the best sounding cab I have owned, and still in near perfect condition. Peavey really knew how to build those speakers and cabs. I'm a big fan of the Scorpions as well.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had a Peavey Artist with a BW 12" - used to beat the hell out of it and it came back for more.

It got stolen out of the back of a van, outside SIR Studios on 54th Street in NYC, along with my pedal board and Echoplex. I remain convinced that the SIR guys saw us coming and jacked my gear.

[​IMG]

- D

Crobbins likes this.
  17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Mace.

2 Headed Goat and uriah1 like this.
  18. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have a 12" Peavey Black Widow loaded in a Peavey Futura rack mounted cab that is being powered with an Art SGX-2000 Express into a Mesa Boogie M190 (180 watt all tube rack mounted mono block power amp that has an onboard attenuator) The Black Widow can handle the power should I ever need it. I have some guitar amps that I have loaded with Scorpions.

19. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I have 2 15" black widows NOS.
    Still debating if In selling one or both. I think they're the kevlar reinforced ones, which doesn't bode well for breaking them in. My grandfather had them, but he never blew the 15s in his renown or Nashville, so never needed them.

Widows and scorpions were nice.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  20. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I remember that amp, I had one for a while, it was really really loud and really really heavy, used to blow my friends Champ away. Sounded pretty good, I think its built for sharing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.