Remember 8-Track...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I know you do. I was thinking about this today. It was July, 1975, Olive Branch, Mississippi and I was 14. My buddy had a half brother who was 18 and drove a Black 1966 Pontiac GTO with a 4-speed transmission. The starter was broken and he had to park on an incline so he could roll it down the hill and "kick" start it. Once, we all had to get out and push together to get it rolling fast enough to start on a flat turnout.

We were driving at high speed down a gravel county road whose number designation I do not recall. There were four Schlitz tall boys on the floor behind the driver side seat. They were warm but I was 14 and I was behind enemy lines. Permission was granted and I passed one to my buddy in the front seat. His brother was cool, like Matthew McConaughey in "Dazed and Confused". There was a bag on the instrument cluster display. I was amazed anyone could roll a cigarette with one hand while driving at 60 mph.

Queen's "A Night At The Opera" had finished playing and I was asked to pull another 8-track tape. There was a good selection of 8-tracks in a case also on the floor behind the driver, at least seven. I chose ZZ Top "Fandango". It was new and I liked it. The thing about 8-track players and 8-track tapes is that they change to another track four times in the course of the entire recording. This meant, of course, that your favorite track is gonna be cut right in the middle of the song and have to switch to the next track before it resumes play. Not THAT bad for "Fandango" but it bloody mutilated "Dark Side of the Moon".

A year later, and true to movie plot lines, my buddy's brother was killed in a car crash. I almost wish I could say he was killed by a drunk driver but the truth is, he was the drunk driver who went off the road and broke his neck in that GTO with the broken starter. Tryin to roll a cigarette with one hand would be my guess as the cause of the accident.

My buddy is settled down after three divorces and he's been married for ten years to the same woman. I too, have been through three divorces but I've been married to my Aussie wife for 14 years.

Americans love Australians. Any Seppo that says they don't has either never met an Aussie, never seen Crocodile Dundee or is just plain lying.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_48c8.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    thunderbyrd, Shuster, Recce and 11 others like this.
  2. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I can say I miss those 8 track days. They were much easier times, and good times for me. Sorry it was not so good for your buddy’s brother.

GibbyTwin and Torren61 like this.
  3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

a sweet sweet girl i used to be with hated how one of the prime tunes on "Bat Out of Hell" split in the middle. she was sweet.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I never had em’, but my older friends did.
    I was a cassette kinda guy.
    I just remember the loud “thunk” when the tracks changed.

mkdaws32 and Torren61 like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I bought a very nice older 8 track machine about a year ago for $10. Sold it on eBay for $150.

"Americans love Australians. Any Seppo that says they don't has either never met an Aussie, never seen Crocodile Dundee or is just plain lying."

Not sure why you threw that in your post, certainly not 100% true.

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Coulda been my story with my buddy John in his 57 Chevy. He lost both legs in a car wreck later on, but nobody could stuff a folded matchbook in beside the tape to make it track right like he could.

Stringbanger, preactor and Torren61 like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I had one 8 track player mounted high between the front seats of my '63 Deluxe VW bus, so that it could be accessed from the front or back. Mostly surf songs and Beach Boys as a group of us would head over the hill to Santa Cruz for a day or two of surfing as often as possible. I welded up my own surf rack to carry up to six boards. 53 horsepower, six boards and a bus full of people (plus usually a large keg of beer), made for some slow going up the grades and brakes that were worthless coming down, but great times.

Telecastoff1, RodeoTex and Torren61 like this.
  8. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

If you don't subscribe to YouTube, watching videos is like listening to the 8 Tracks...you get to that interesting part or guitar solo and bam! an advertisement pops up then back to the video. And don't forget that "clicking" sound as the playback head changed position when the player switched to the next track. The biggest benefit, at least for me, was the ability to record my record collection onto 8 Track tapes and play them in the car.

9. Torren61

You don't love Australians? That's weird...

10. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

This 8-track is probably responsible for my descent into better music than was on the radio at the time. I think I was 15, and it was 1985. Got it from the Salvation Army store where my mom worked. She said nobody bought 8-tracks anymore, so I could have them. I can't remember what the others were. We weren't very well off, so we still had an 8-track at home.
    Mine was the same as this one; black plastic, Record Club of America edition, wrinkled label and all.
    [​IMG]

11. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I remember 4 track cartridges. I'm old!
    4track.jpg

Heck I even remember a record player (yeah vinyl record - with a needle) that was made to mount in a car.

CarRecordPlayer.jpg

12. Torren61

Record Club of America. They had the thing where you could buy a dozen albums or 8-tracks for one cent... but you had to buy some other stuff.

I traded Wild Cherry's "Wild Cherry" 8-track (the album with "Play That Funky Music") for Zeppelin III, Chicago Transit Authority Double Live album. "25 or 6 to 4" is it was either 25 or 26 minutes to 4 AM when Lamm wrote that song. His words. I also got Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Godda-Da-Vita". Three albums for that one 8-track for that ONE song... That trade started me on my Zeppelin fan journey. Also exposed me to Terry Kath. One of my all time favorite bands is Chicago.

Rowdyman and black_doug like this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Speaking of Australians, my ex BIL spent six months traveling and working odd jobs in Australia and NZ. He made lots of friends, but lived 6 hours away from a major airport, so when his new friends decided to travel over to the states to visit, I would pick them up at the airport and they would stay with us up to a week at a time while my BIL could get some time off to come and get them. I enjoyed every single one of them. Maybe more than a dozen over a few years came over. The sweetest people with great humor and lots of laughter. I had no issues at all letting them hang out at our house while I would be working most weeks. I would typically take them to San Francisco to show the sights there while waiting to get picked up. Most of them would come back waiting for a flight back too, so it was always fun and interesting to hear their stories and perspectives during their Holiday in the states.

14. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

No but I remember 6 Track, got to listen to 3/4 of Aerosmith Rocks in my VW bus a lot. Damn thing just would not play the other 1/4

Torren61 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  15. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got Van Halen on 8 track. But I’m more into vinyl and cassettes. E1ECBB53-E059-444E-89A9-A3B5451DC834.jpeg

16. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Oh yeah pfffft....I remember Andy Panda's dog Milo! :lol:

Shuster and AndyPanda like this.
  17. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

I can't remember but I think we had some Black Sabbath and Doors on 8 track. The rest of the story sounded much the same except our beer was cold. :twisted:

Shuster and Torren61 like this.
  18. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Mid 70's.....I'm a young man that just got $2,500 from an insurance policy my parents took out on me when I was a baby.

I was advised to invest it, but instead I bought an 1971 Chevy Monte Carlo. I bought a Craig quadraphonic 8 track and four speakers from my buddy and installed it. Unfortunately, at that time, quad 8 tracks were limited. I had Procal Harum Broken Barricades, Frank Zappa Apostrophe, Deep Purple Made In Japan and Pink Floyd Meddle and I played those over and over.

Due to being young and stupid, my car (and 8 track) became the property of law enforcement. Those were the days!

Torren61 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

20. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I had access to a reel to reel when I was around 6 years old in 1961. I got into recording things off the radio or record player. Fascinated by the Chipmonk and roared while I slowed it down to hear old dudes singing. I would record the underground FM stations playing both sides of an album all the time in the late 60's,(mic to speaker). I recon 8 tracks around 1968 as I sat in my cousin convertible and heard Jeff Beck Superstitious on his 8 track. WOW;fidelity like you never hear prior in a car. I got my first car when I was 18 in 73. I immediately bought a Pioneer 8 track player for the car AND a recorder for making my own tapes. Sometimes I'd time it, but mostly I'd leave the change in the middle of whatever. I used 90 minute 8 tracks. Youd' get an album and 1/2. I remember I had a date in my car and she said WOW, I can feel the bass. 8 track was a total jump in better audio on wheels. Stereo with front and back speakers.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.