Remastering process

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by fasteddie455, Sep 18, 2018.

1. fasteddie455

fasteddie455 Tele-Meister

I have two versions of Buck Owens' song "Foolin' Around" one believe one to be remastered. One version has the vocals in the left speaker and the other version has them in the right speaker. Why would that be the case? That would have to be intentional in the remastering process, wouldn't it? I don't believe it would be an accident.... and if that is true, why would you do that? The whole thing has me perplexed.. It is not important, but it is bugging me. Can anybody shed some light why this would ever be the case?
    Thanks, fasteddie

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

As I understand it remastering involves splitting the original into it’s composite recorded tracks, eight if it were recorded on an eight track machine for example. These are then cleaned up and put back together. On a stereo record the vocal would, I think, notprmally be recorded onto two tracks so tha, when played back, the vocalist woukd ‘apoear’ to be stage centre. May be getting out of my depth here but, if these vocals were recorded on a single track, then I woukdn’t think that whoever remastered it was overly concerned with which side it came out if on a stereo system. I stand to be shot down in flames on this!

3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

Why do you think it is remastered?

It happens quite often that channels are swapped (either or purpose or by mistake). I have an extensive Elvis Presley CD collection, and it is not that unusual, really.

4. fasteddie455

I was not commenting on how frequently it occurred rather, why it occurred. Why would you swap a channel on purpose? The engineer's grandmother lost her hearing in her right ear so he switched the vocals to the left side so she could enjoy it? I also find it hard to believe it would be accidental... spending hours listening to minutiae in the sound quality but, oops I forgot what channel the vocals were in?? Do you think in some weird way that iimproves the track to have the vocals in one side vs the other? It ALL sounds weird to me....
    fasteddie

5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Hi. I'm a recording engineer and I master as well.
    An old joke says: Confuscius said, "A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure." How do you know which one is right? ;) Stupid stuff happens along the way. Sometimes it gets fixed in a remaster job.
    No flames. Actually, going back to the multitrack and mixing things again is called "remixing." Back in the sixties the whole stereo thing was so fresh that there weren't any protocols. Often they'd throw the guitar on one side and the bass on the other, the keys and drums around somewhere, and the vocals might be on one side as well. It took a few years for people to figure out that a random spread didn't represent the music well.

Bob

knockeduptele likes this.
  6. MPCNYC

MPCNYC TDPRI Member

Remasters often happen for good reason. Often records from the 50s to 70s were remastered with the proliferation of the CD in the late 80’s. The digitization technology in the early era of digital audio was fairly primitive, at the time, sonically. Analog to digital conversions in the 2000’s is much improved. That could be a reason.

Also, more cynically, the “remaster” is also a great to market the product again. Making one think it’s a better representation of the music can drive sales. All in all lots of remasters are great at times and well worth a purchase or at least a listen.

7. larsongs

larsongs TDPRI Member

Is it a Record, CD, Cassette? Is it Store bought or a Copy?

8. fasteddie455

They are mp3's made from cd's.... but I am not sure why that matters..
    To be clear, I am not questioning the practice of putting the vocals etc. on one or the other speaker , rather I am questioning the reasoning of going through the trouble to switching from one side to the other all else staying the same.

9. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

A man who punches in via timeclock doesn't care what the other clocks say.

10. fasteddie455

The later copy of the song would be exactly the same as the original unless you actively change it. I would understand it even more if you were to more dramatically change it like put the vocals in both channels because you think is sounds better. The same thing can't be said for just switching sides...you think the right side sounds better than the left? Huh?

11. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

It could be an accident or as previously noted, the original had the channels flipped accidentally. I’ve heard this channel-reversing happen in more than one remaster.

12. fasteddie455

How does it happen accidentally, I am not saying you are wrong, I just don't understand...it is as it is, if you don't do something to change it , it will be the same as it was. Do you hit a button accidentally and it flips the two ? Don't it take more effort than that?

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Sound is weird. If you go to see
    Sometimes, though, the result is a real eye opener. A while ago they released an album of Buddy Holly where all of the tracks had been remastered from the original tapes.the detail and clarity is stunning. You can hear fingers moving on strings, Buddy’s count Ins, pretty much everything that happened in the studio. I’d always liked and respected the music but didn’t really find out how good it was until I heard it through other than a ‘record player’ playing a vinyl 45 or 78

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.