1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Remagnetize WRHB CuNiFe Polepieces

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by DrBoBo, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Jason Lollar

Jason Lollar Tele-Meister

good diagram telenator

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Heres a related question. I think the answer is pretty obvious but i'm going to ask anyways. Assuming both pickups are oriented the same, does it matter if the coils closest to bridge are north or south and long as the coils closest to the neck are the opposite? In other words, if the N and S in that diagram are reversed so the coil that show N is now S and visa versa, and the other p/u is the same, does it make any difference tonally and if so how? I would think not since they pickups are in phase when combined.

3. Jason Lollar

Jason Lollar Tele-Meister

no, it will change the phase of the pickup but if both are the same it doesnt matter, the other often asked question is "does it matter which way the pickup is installed"? Rotating the pickup doesnt change the phase.

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Thats what i figured, but i was looking at it from the point of view as to whether it mattered if say the south coil was the one with the ground or hot or visa versa. That would be different than just turning the pu around. But again i figured like anything, as long as it's used by itself or if used with another pu it's in phase with it, it shouldn't matter.

5. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

My Thinline is Finally Restored

One of the great things about this forum are the knowledgeable, experienced and professional folks who provide help when asked. I am returning to guitar after a 20+ year absence. My journey began in 2009 when I began the process of refurbishing my 72 Thinline to playable condition in my spare time. I thought I knew everything there was to know about guitars, but soon realized I couldn't be more wrong. In the last three years I have learned about fret board radii, intonation, how to solder, WRHB pickups and how the frets were installed on my guitar (pushed in from the side). Along the way I discovered people who had a deep and intimate knowledge of all things guitar and I was blessed to get their advice and opinions. I now have a fully restored '72 Tele Thinline which brings great happiness to me.

I want to express gratitude especially to Telenator who recharged my pole pieces and generously provided the knowledge, advice, technical help and drawings which allowed me to finish this project successfully. This baby sounds sweet--better than when I bought it. On Saturday I will sit in with some old friends and play my first gig since 1989. Wish me luck and hopefully my hands will cooperate.

DrBoBo

6. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Awesome. Glad it worked out for you DrBoBo.

When I got started on my WRHB quest, there were several people on the internet who were of great help to me as well. For this reason, I am very quick to pass along knowledge and a helping hand whenever I can.

We haven't been in business as long as many of the other pickup makers out there, but hey, they all had to start somewhere too. One day,... was their first day too.

Telenator has been around for 5 years now and someday we too will be able to make the great claims of a generation in business. It's an adventure my friends, and we're enjoying the ride!

7. layne

layne TDPRI Member

Wow! This thread is a great resource for WRHB owners.

I recently acquired a 73 Tele Deluxe with the original WRHB pickups. It needed some work under the pickguard, as someone rewired it (incorrectly)... plus it just didn't work. After replacing the pots with CTS 1M audio and some rewiring, it works now... but I'm not getting the tone I expected out of these pickups. First, the volume and tone tapers are very sensitive. I lose half my volume between 9 and 10, and the tone knob has little affect until 2, then it's all or none. It also sounds somewhat "lifeless".

Since it was wired incorrectly to begin with, I wasn't exactly sure how to rewire it. I searched for the correct vintage wiring diagram for the Tele Deluxe, but didn't find much. So I ended up wiring it like the reissue (except for the 1M pots).

I thought the problem might be because I wired it incorrectly... but after reading this thread, I think it might be my magnetic pole pieces. It wouldn't surprise me if they have been rearranged. Many of the screw threads are well worn and/or dinged (as if they have been adjusted and/or removed many times). I'm also quite sure they are not adjusted to the optimal height (whatever that is).

Could demagnetized and/or incorrectly oriented pole pieces cause the problems I'm having (odd volume and tone tapering, lifeless sound, etc)? My pickup resistance is 10.8K BTW... is this good for vintage WRHB pickups?

Thanks,
    Layne

8. layne

layne TDPRI Member

Another question about CuNiFe pole pieces... Can I use another magnet with labeled poles to determine the polarity of my CuNiFe pole pieces? Or will that risk damaging or demagnetizing them?

9. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

I would use a compass.

10. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

Great info from two real experts!

Thanks..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.