Reliced ......Yawn

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kbold, Jun 29, 2019.

1. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Tell me you did that deliberately :)

Bill likes this.
  2. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes, it's not rocket science.

texastengu, Bill and Guitarteach like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Maybe relic'd stuff started as a way for Fender to compete with its biggest competitor for decades..... used Fenders?

Without getting into obvious trends that were always a thing with used amp prices, when I bought my tele shes ago, the "brand new" ones weren't set up right. Setup guitar plus barely any finish on a maple neck was quite comfortable. Years later, when I bought my mustang, they had a new one in the same color right next to the used one I bought. It was setup better and cheaper.
    A store quite close to my house (Guitar Guys in Heath OH) started developing a reputation for preforming setups on all thier stuff to combat this issue. I thought nobody else noticed, then I read the feedback they had on the reverb store.... nobody wants to drop a grand on a guitar that isn't setup, but people who drop a grand on one that IS seem happier than if not. Relic'd or not...

kbold and Chunkocaster like this.
  4. kris ford

kris ford TDPRI Member

You can say that again..I barely get a yer out of my 527s..they usually go above the knees and the pocket my wallet goes in..

Not like they used to be!

Frodebro likes this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Yes on the wallet pocket, also my left side pocket, ever since I got a slightly bigger phone last year I've been getting a line outlining it, and starting to fray on the bottom ...
    I stopped cuffing my 505s when I wore them because I was getting a RIP at the fold line, and looking like a greaser wasn't worth the pants wearing out early. It was all easier when I deliberately wore ripped up stuff.....

6. KG7IL

KG7IL TDPRI Member

First of all, I am excited to be able to participate in this thread.
    It looks like this thread IS the one that will resolve this problem, once and for all,... not only here, but in all the forum in all the world.. in fact in all the world .. even in the real parts.

1. Relics allow the manufactures to sell otherwise rejected parts.
    2. Relics in a group of your guitars always make the other ones look nice.

It's hard to beat this win win..

I however like it the old fashioned way.. It might take my grandsons to finish the job on my 'natural relics'

8trackmind likes this.
  7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I'm thinking of taking a can of spray paint into the store and saying "let me fix those for you". Spray paint comes in "sunburst" right?

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It is odd when you think about the differences. You get some people that don't like relics because they aren't shiny and mint new like the original fenders were when they hit the store new yet they own poly finished variants of those original fenders that are much less like the originals than the nitro relics getting around.
    Then you get people that like everything correct like the originals and still mint but when they age they could also look like the same as the relics in 10 years if they are played enough. Do those guys then sell them or refinish their guitars or consider the wear worthy because it took 10 years for it to happen?
    Who'd have guessed there would be so many rules to playing buying and owning guitars?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  9. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Depends on the guitar. You don’t want a pristine Micawber type Tele. But, aside from that particular guitar, I don’t really get the concept.

10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Guitars are both instruments and works of art. Beauty and interpretation are in the eye of the beholder. There's no right or wrong answer.

StrangerNY, kbold, Frodebro and 2 others like this.
  11. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Im in the group of not wanting it at first, but after playing a few roadworns, custom shop relics and MJT relics, Im warming up to the look of relics.. (i hang out in my guitar tech shop and played a couple of guitars that he finished setting up), my guitar tech was mostly responsible for the feel and set up and they played nice because of it.. but I also thought that they looked cool.

Im not a good guitar player despite playing for 20 sum years, but if I have a guitar that looked like Ive been playing it 50 years is just icing on cake.. I cant afford a vintage guitar so this is the ticket for me.. Also, in addition to the music that I play and do, if it gets my audience's attention, then win-win,.

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Really small thing to get wrapped around the axle about. Think of all the things that people do to guitars that pale in comparison to putting nicks and dings in them. Things that are not original to the guitar. Taking the finish off the back of the neck was super popular in the early 80's because nobody liked 3' of poly finish.

Things like:

1. Putting a PAF in the neck position of a vintage tele ala Keef.
    2. Adding pickups where they dont belong such as Steve Morse.
    3. Hand painting psychedelic flowers. Burning. Changing strat for tele necks etc like Jimi.
    4. Adding pickups to a Esquire the way Bruce did.
    5. Adding a strat pickup to a tele the way Pete Towsend did. (earliest example I can think of)
    6. The vast butchery Eddie did to everything he owned..
    7. Robbie Robertsons iconic mangled 54' strat..
    8. The Parsons bender tele.
    9. Buck Owens horrendous sparkle tele.
    10. Danny Gatton's "mods" to his vintage tele.
    11. Eric Johnson's f-hole strat.
    12. Jimmy Page's silly mirror tele or his painted vintage tele.
    13. Jeff Becks Duncan modded old tele.
    14. Robben Ford's altered Epi ES335.
    15. Stevie Ray's weird strat with the left handed tremolo..(and space tape initials)
    16. Frank Zappa's modded SG, Strat, Les Paul..
    17. Les Pauls modded vintage Les Paul.
    18. Les Paul's butchered L5 (The Plank) (thank you Les!!!)
    19. John Lennon's Gorge Harrison's re-finished guitars..
    20. Clapton's The Fool SG.
    21. For petes sake there was a Chris Gaines model Tele. If that dont trip the switch nothing will.
    22 The entire after market industry...
    23.The entire re-issue market...
    24. Stickers...
    25. Pickguards made of albums, license plates, road signs, sheet metal, leather etc,...

Seriously, who cares what people do to their guitars to suit them. Threads like this, ...yawn.

13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I don't have any issue with relic guitars. When there is a market for something, I don't see why any company shouldn't capitalise on the idea. They're not for me, would probably be a lie on my behalf, because if I could afford one I would buy one.

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.