Reliced ......Yawn

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kbold, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

A relic is a new instrument that’s a copy of an antique instrument. A new instrument is a new instrument. A reissue is a new instrument often modelled after a line that are now antiques. I see the appeal in all of those. Whilever pros are playing battered instruments (and even Buddy Holly’s Strat was battered), there’s a place for the conceit of a relic - to buy a guitar that you like the way it looks and plays, often a well-used one you saw someone on a stage or in a video playing.

I like them shiny, but I still like my nitro guitars to develop a patina from use, and when the finish shrinks into the grain after a few years. Other people spend their time waxing them. It’s all personal taste rather than fashion, I think.

kbold and Chunkocaster like this.
  2. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Thread started yesterday and already up to 5 pages?

I was just gonna say it’s not any different than someone saying he wants a red guitar, or a blue one.

It’s just a question of appearance.

Has anyone ever been criticized for wanting a red, or blue, guitar? So if someone wants a reliced look, fine. Not any different.

However, Antigua is permitted to be ridiculed.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like my sneakers and jeans to be worn in too. Same goes for a leather jacket.
    I do appreciate a crisp new pair of underpants and socks though.

4. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That’s saved me typing my response.

:lol: Peter

8trackmind likes this.
  5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

My naturally reliced 1965 Epiphone Cortez. I have referred to this backstory in the past on this forum.

The guitar was owned by a friend of mine and fellow picker Gordie. I’m sure it was his beater, because he always played it at folk festivals and backyard jams.

Gordie took his own life, around 1999 because of family stress, or so the story goes. After his death, the guitar was given to John, Gordie’s best friend. John, in turn, offered it to my wife, unbeknownst to me. She, then gifted it to me as a Christmas present.

I felt so surprised, and I am honored to play this guitar in Gordie’s memory. I think of him every time I get it out of the case. He was such a great, unassuming, nice guy, and a great guitar player to boot.

BTW, I got the guitar in the condition that it’s in, except for a small ding or two that I contributed.

DF479A1C-8421-4C60-81CC-308C97D33DB6.jpeg 9DECDC0C-3574-4443-A4E7-A513DB3BCC41.jpeg 48137BA2-ED9A-437B-A299-24F579868ADC.jpeg 0108034C-AD83-4877-BB4C-089F5A8D6FFC.jpeg 4325A1FF-37A3-4E3F-97B4-69DF0261FFE6.jpeg 2565D96E-E0BA-4804-83BA-A6943003695F.jpeg

fattboyzz, kbold and Jim622 like this.
  6. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Sure I know what guitar companies mean by "relic",... it's another finish choice, like sunburst, pink, sea foam,..

7. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

I thought they were kinda 'dumb' too, till I bought one. It's the guitar I reach for most of the time now. There's a relaxation and comfort with a guitar that if it gets dinged, scratched or damaged in some minor way, you don't dread it. You actually kinda hope something happens to add to the effect.

Whereas my other guitars, I cringe or feel bad for days if they get a boo boo!! ;)

The problem with ANY trend/fad etc, is people will always overdo it to the point of ruining whatever was cool to start with. A new guitar that looks and feels like an old guitar? Cool! A new guitar with wear and damage far beyond any real world use? Dumb, ugly, stupid.... for me, but for someone else maybe just right. Usually those kind of people are only seeking other's approval anyway, so they will move onto something else soon... unless we're talking tattoos, you're stuck with that forever!

StrangerNY, kbold and 8trackmind like this.
  8. stephent2

Let's say I own this guitar (because, I do). It was gifted to me, was a dear, dead friend's shop guitar (RIP Frank Moates). I didn't put the wear on it.

If I take that guitar out to a gig (which I have) does that make me a poser?

[​IMG]

fattboyzz, kbold, studio1087 and 2 others like this.
  9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Only if you’re going to use it to play a power ballad while wearing makeup and leopard print spandex.

Chunkocaster and stephent2 like this.
  10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Only if you tell stories about life on the hard road, and all the juke joints and dive bars that you played in with this trusty ol' gittar.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

That's my only complaint. I think relicing is pretty silly myself, but who cares what other people buy? But, man if it isn't a pain to find a proper BR or Sherwood Green standard tele that isn't fake old.

12. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

6 pages now, ha, ha! Gotta love TDPRI! I always thought the relic thing was dumb too, until I picked up my Road Worn Tele for the first time. The neck immediately felt so right, and the neck relic process (poly on the neck sanded almost completely off) is brilliant. It seals but feels unfinished and never gets sticky like my others when it's humid or I get sweaty. It sounds great and was a decent price too, so I love it. I still think the school-bus yellow and fake dings are kind of silly, but who cares?

Now, Antigua? Yeah, definitely ridicule worthy. :)

kbold and 8trackmind like this.
  13. stephent2

sure,.. and you're assuming that's what relic owners do? if they don't lie about how their guitar got the relic-ed condition, then you're OK w/ it?

no need to be consistent, this is the internet.

14. stephent2

everything but the power ballad.

Frodebro likes this.
  15. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Relics are earned, not made.

kbold and DHart like this.
  16. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Fake wear and phony damage to a guitar has no appeal to me, whatsoever.

Just my personal opinion, but I think a guitar should be allowed to age gracefully and genuinely.

Beating up a brand-new guitar (and paying through the nose for that deceit) so others who see it will think that it's a long-loved classic instrument goes right along with today's fake news. Intentional deception.

Needless to say, I'll never be spending my money on a fake relic.

fattboyzz and kbold like this.
  17. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

No we don't want that. Wide variety is great. But fake wear? OK for those who want it and are willing to spend the money for it.

For many of us, though... it's just phony.

fattboyzz and Chunkocaster like this.
  18. kelnet

Sorry about that, stephent2. It's was a just a bit of humour that wasn't clear enough. No assumptions were made, I assure you. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers with that post.

19. kelnet

Actually, relics are indeed made, at least if we're using the marketing term. Worn out guitar old guitars are made, but then, they don't have a catchy label.

Frankly, it's all brilliant marketing. Take a term that has a specific meaning, and apply it to something that can't possibly fit the definition. Pretty soon, the term (relic) no longer refers to an item from the distant past, but rather just to anything that doesn't look brand new. Now, I can refer to the four-year-old tires on my car as relics. I can call my coffee mug a relic. My two-year-old shoes are now relics. Forget those ancient clay pots from the Sumerian civilization. Sure, they're relics, but so is my mom's roasting pan.

Also, "relic" means something from the past that no longer has much use in modern times. The column mounted gear shift is a relic. I guess my Samsung phone from 2008 is also a relic. My current phone, while still useful, is also a relic because it has some scratches on the back of it.

So sure, maybe I will refer to my old, used guitars as relics. It might help me sell them.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer lacquer finishes and I lightly age my partscasters because i'm going for close to period correct looking and it's easier than shooting for perfection when finishing at home. I leave my poly guitars alone because they wont wear through naturally and I don't use poly if im going for period correct 50's 60's fenders. I've played for over 35 years and don't think the look of a guitar has anything to do with how real of a person or player you are. I don't choose to relic my guitars to pretend i'm blind lemon chitlin and I've been on the road playing dive bars for 50 years. I like a worn in looking and feeling guitar and I think of modern variant of teles and strats as closer to copies than a guitar that is period correct in look and materials.

There's plenty of hacks with real vintage worn guitars and plenty of amazing players with mint guitars. Creating your own ideal guitar can stop at sourcing or assembling the parts or it can go deeper into finishing and relicing your own if that's the image you have in your mind of your ideal guitar. What other people think of my guitar means little to nothing to me. It's what I like in a guitar that's important.

It's not a new fad. I've had the same images in my head of my preferred guitars since my early days of learning to play. I have always gravitated to worn guitars from the 50's and 60's as have many others which is why relics are so popular. If fender didn't switch to poly in the 70's I think a good percentage of people would have been relicing their new guitars the whole time.

DHart, kbold and Chicago Matt like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.