Reliced ......Yawn

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kbold, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

I disagree. I had a Wildwood "10" CS 56 Strat for a few years that was lightly reliced, which was mostly finishes that looked and felt aged, and void of the disk sander embellishments. You really couldn't tell it was reliced unless you looked at it up close. but it felt very comfortable due to that pseudo aging process. My new American Original 50s Strat has a brand new nitro finish which has that new nitro drag as your arm moves on the body and when bending strings. So the relicing process isn't always about aesthetics only.

Frodebro, StrangerNY and 8trackmind like this.
  2. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Let's use the dictionary to define the word. "an object surviving from an earlier time, especially one of historical or sentimental interest".

A chip is real regardless of it origin. The guitar doesn't know or care. Curious why we should.

3. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Yea it is... the ones where you can tell it's had the "treatment" is absolutely about the look.

I wasnt talking about steel wooling a neck or or deglossing a body to Eliminate drag.... both can be done so uniformly that it looks factory and not artificially aged.

But deliberately "aging" a guitar is what I meant.... by abusing the finish with foreign objects and materials... its purely to achieve an aesthetic.

Making a guitar comfy to play does not have to be a done in any sort of obvious "reliced" fashion.

I agree though a worn neck usually feels better than factory fresh.

8trackmind likes this.
  4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I gigged this relic’d partscaster in Chicago last night. I’m a bad person undeserving of love. It’s the only relic’d guitar that I own. Bad bad bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m on the primrose path to the everlasting bonfire.

[​IMG]

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's funny that some think it matters how a guitar got it's beat up appearance.
    Honest playwear could look identical to a well done relic. What difference does it make if you play the thing well and people enjoy the sounds you get out of it? You may have worn 20 guitars out but happen to be playing your relic when that guy in the crowd decides to judge you on it thinking it somehow makes you less legit as a player. :rolleyes:

Relics are more prominent now that the factories are doing them but they have always been popular with some players. It's one of the reasons why people would purchase used guitars over new ones regardless of being able to afford whatever they like and they are much closer to a real strat, tele as in they are finished in thinner lacquer finishes rather than being closer to a plastic dipped, manufacturing cost cutting alternative to a original strat or tele.
    In saying that playing a poly finished guitar doesn't make you any less of a player either and the poly finished guitar may be a great playing and sounding guitar.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  6. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

A replica Cobra is around $40 to $80k. For an original you need $500k for the 289 version to over a million. Right idea but your figures were low.

Frodebro likes this.
  7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I wouldn't know. There are some factory relics that are pretty obvious, but I don't really care if you damage your own guitar on purpose or by accident.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. kelnet

Yeah, but the guitar industry doesn't use the word that way, and you know it. When guitar companies are selling you a brand new relic, you know perfectly well that it wasn't made decades earlier.

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Ahh... the insecurity of it all.

It’s like the fake Rolex market. Appearance is everything.

10. kelnet

I have some dings and dents in a couple of my guitars. They didn't get relic'd. They got dinged and dented.

I have no problem with people buying guitars that look old because someone in a factory or in their shop took off some finish, wore down some areas, and tarnished the metal. Whatever. If you like it, buy it.

I'm just talking about the use of the word "relic" being applied to guitars (and cars too, apparently) that look old and used because they are old and used. My CV Thinline, with the chip on the back and the dent on the bottom, has not been relic'd. It was dropped. The finish on the bridge of my Yamaha SE looks old and tarnished, not because the factory did it, but because the guitar is over 20 years old and I've never cleaned it properly. I don't own a relic. I own some old, used guitars.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Most every person buying a guitar looks for one that appeals to them both visually and with playability, sound and feel. It's usually the insecure types that judge others on their personal taste in guitars. A cost cutting poly finished guitar closer resembles a fake rolex. Its shiny and new, looks like a original tele or strat but is manufactured using cheaper materials with cost savings in mind.

StrangerNY, Bones and kelnet like this.
  12. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

Cool story ? o_O

13. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

There are certain things that you can relic, certain things you shouldn't. A relic hamburger, old, half eaten? LOL.... Guitars are not food or snickers or jeans. In my opinion, there's something extremely cool about a WELL DONE relic, and something extremely disturbing about a relic created by some random guy beating the guitar with the proverbial "keychain".

Like it or not, relic'ing is art, it's just another layer of craftsmanship added to the guitar and, when done right, it can even add value to the instrument. I'd like to put an emphasis on the part "when done right" though.

14. kelnet

Here's a big difference between relic owners and some of us who don't own relics. I'm kind of embarrassed by the damage on my Thinline. I'm disappointed in myself for not taking better care of my guitar.
    Of course, I might be in the minority. I like my guitars to stay in good condition, and a chip in the finish actually kind of bothers me. Does anyone else feel that way about damage to their guitars?

TokyoPortrait, kbold and Chunkocaster like this.
  15. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

If you're going to go through the process or relic'ing poly, you deserve a medal just for trying. :lol:

Festus_Hagen and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

If it's normal wear and tear then no need to feel bad. If you dropped the guitar on the sidewalk because you were too damn drunk to walk, that's a different story.

StrangerNY likes this.
  17. kelnet

Yeah, it's not even that kind of story. I knocked it over when I was reaching for it in my office. Clumsy and stupid.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  18. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Eh. It’s not my first choice in finishes but I’m in it for the guitar’s overall feel more than just its appearance. My Tele wasn’t considered “reliced” when I bought it, just damaged, so I was able to afford it. The Fano, however, just plays like I want it to so I didn’t let the finish sway my decision beyond deciding if I liked the color or not.

19. Chunkocaster

My main tele is poly finished and has legit wear from my stupidity. I closed the car door on it leaving a crease dent in the top. Dropped a cable on it with the jack end punching a hole in the finish like an egg shell and general dents and scratches that just appeared over time. It still plays and sounds great though. I don't care about the damage unless it affects the feel, function of the guitar or a large chunk of the body broke off and I had to glue it back on.
    At that point I would probably patch up and refinish it in nitro over the poly so it wears through as I continue to play it because I like the worn in look of faded fiesta red over white.

20. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Same here. Like I said before, the first question is 'How does it play?' As cool as I think my Dano looks, it wouldn't have gotten it if it played like a dog.

And besides, I've actually added some of my own wear and tear since I got it, but since it looked well worn when I got it I'm not sweating putting another chip or two on it or getting some buckle rash on the back.

- D

Manual Slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.