Reliced ......Yawn

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kbold, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

How would you know if a guitar was reliced or not? I put a reliced neck I purchased on a new body that happened to have small damage on it that ended up in me getting it cost free. I've since put a couple small dents in it while playing it. I thought about lightly aging the nickel hardware but i'm too lazy and figure it will age itself soon anyway. The guitar is only a few month old but resembles a light relic. If I was clumsier or wore studded belts like in the 80's it would be even more reliced by now. Not all relics have the standard forearm exposed wood and claw marks.
    I actually tried to reduce the wear on the fretboard by applying some tru oil on the worn spots which blended ok. I wasn't particularly looking for a reliced neck but the roasted flame one I got was too sweet a deal to pass up.

I could have just as easily damaged the body myself and intentionally put those dents in it and the guitar would look identical.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    WetBandit and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  2. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Agreed ... On another note.... I should stop surfing this damn forum and go back to bed! :lol:

8trackmind likes this.
  3. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Oh, and to answer the original quesiton, I've watched more than one video where Lee Anderton (of Andertons in the UK) has stated that relic guitars are really really popular and are the ones that are in demand and consistently sell with the custom shop orders they get in.

Might not be somewhere in these vids (I watched them a while back and can't remember), but it also might be :)

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I actually haven't seen the relic/pristine thread in a while.

Hey, how about a tonewood discussion? Balsa is the best IMO.

5. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well, Balsa is a hardwood, so that sounds really good.
    What concerns me is that first full tone string bend, ... and of course, neck dive.
    Whammy bar might also be a problem.

Dismalhead likes this.
  6. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

I'm pretty good at relicing my own cars (and guitars)... I do it when I least expect it.

Dismalhead and rad1 like this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. Saw one in our city's most prestigious stores only the other day.

8. Chunkocaster

Apparently the new roadworns are fitted with Pau Ferro necks rather than the Rosewood you would expect on a 60's strat. Same goes for the classic series 60's mim I think. At least the imported ones are from what I hear.

9. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

then don’t buy one o_O

MilwMark, Stratohacker and 8trackmind like this.
  10. Chunkocaster

I'm thinking I might relic a squier mini strat when I get one. Put a cigarette burn on the little headstock, put some arm wear on it with a sanding block. Do the brown shoe polish trick. See what kind of reaction I get from it at the local open mic night. A little controversy is always interesting at those things.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  11. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Someone just paid $4,000,000 for a slightly reliced guitar.
    On the other hand, if someone else knew how to use the search engine they could entertain themselves for years just by reading the previous relic threads

8trackmind likes this.
  12. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

I ask this question not trying to make a point but to seek an opinion: There are two identical model Fender-made Custom Shop Telecasters, one a NOS version; the other with a factory relic job which came at an extra cost. Twenty years pass and both guitars are listed for sale. The NOS version now has 20 years of regular playing wear including nicks, dings, scuffs, rubbing, finger board/neck wear, etc.; the factory relic job has almost no additional play wear. Has the NOS version gained in value due to the honest wear or is it just an old beat up guitar with the commensurate loss of value? Conversely has the factory relic attained or lost value? Obviously both guitars are used and will take the secondary market hit but is the one made to look used more have more resale value than the one that acquired its relic look over time, i.e. really used? I don't know, that's why I'm posing the question.

13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz TDPRI Member

no-no-wrong.gif

MilwMark and 8trackmind like this.
  14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Your best bet for future value would be a Roth IRA.

NewKid, teletimetx and P Thought like this.
  15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I concur with that.
    Or go the Gilmour way, write and perform a few songs like those on The Dark Side of the Moon or the Wall and your investment will skyrocket. Otherwise, just play the damn thing, that should be the mains reason you bought it for

Frodebro likes this.
  16. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Sorry... I had to.

less-is-more-bullshit-more-is-more.jpg

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

This is the best post about relics that I have seen in a long time. "Silly visual cliches" sums it up nicely and yes, if you want that fantasy, in the long run, it ain't hurting anyone and it's keeping the industry alive with sales. My first dings in guitars pissed me off and now they are badges of honor. You can't buy that even if you try.

matrix likes this.
  18. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

The bottom line on relics is its purely an aesthetic... it contributes to nothing more than provoking inspiration.

If it makes you want to play that guitar then how on earth is that bad?

Also makes the dings and things that happen much less hurtful and much less of an eye sore on an otherwise pristine finish.

I have done a few "relics".... mainly because they fit a theme, which creates a mood, which influences my playing.

20180319_000222.jpg 20170806_191108.jpg
    Both serve a purpose.

I have a few that are "naturally" "reliced"

And then I have 1 that I refuse to put a scratch on...
    15619015007798657242158589398239.jpg
    That CAR strat rarely gets played because I do not want to scratch it...

For me it's how I justify having so many guitars (16 in this on room, and about 20 more in the garage) they all invoke a certain feeling that makes me want to play a certain way...

And if the "relic" causes a feeling to come out.... it can only be good!

fattboyzz, kbold and Chunkocaster like this.
  19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes, I am.
    What was the question?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like thin finishes, whether relic or not. More about feel for me than looks.
    All my necks get sanded down even if the rest of the guitar is pristine. Don't know why anybody would want to wait years before the neck starts feeling so good.

As far as the question about the fad being over or not? It may have started as a fad, but I think it's here to stay.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.