Reliced ......Yawn

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kbold, Jun 29, 2019.

1. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I just reliced my EC Strat again this week. Carrying it by the neck, not paying attention, I slammed the body into a metal leg of a coffee table. I drop filled it a bit and sanded it down so it felt smooth, which is all I really care about anymore, just smooth it out.

DCA7EA3A-47B8-4F93-BD51-21AD0631A17F.jpeg

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

FFS. A cruller is just an apple-free fritter. :rolleyes:
    But yeah. Less is more. :)

MilwMark and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  3. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good idea ..... something nobody's touched on before.

4. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Couldn't agree more!

5. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

I don’t think the relic guitar thing has run it’s course yet.

I heard there are still a few posers who don’t play much but want to look like they do.:lol:

Just joshing ya you relicistas.
    I’m actually planning an Esquire copy build that’s going to be sort of a rat rod. I’ve got a bridge that looks like it’s been dipped in acid and then spent time in a septic tank. I’ll actually clean it up some, but it’s pretty cool how the tops of the saddles are worn shiny.
    I am looking for a junkyard piece of body panel ~ some paint, some rust - to cut a pickguard out of.
    But, I will do a nice finish on the wood parts, and let them relic by playing it hard and often.

6. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Finally someone brought this up. Yawn.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  7. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

My tele looked okay like this FD3109E2-03FF-4F69-BAD1-33B1DA3612E7.jpeg
    But it looks, sounds and plays better like this:
    3F7BB14D-7334-4D1A-9C88-51F6E9F4CDBE.jpeg
    Relic’ing is cool on fenders.

fattboyzz, rich815, WetBandit and 5 others like this.
  8. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I've been playing my Carvin for a third of a century. I do my best to take care of it.

9. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I think of relics as theatrical props, both for the audience (who don't really care anyway) and for the owner. It's a bit of fantasy -- surely that's OK even if it is pretty silly. What I don't like, though, is how fake and repetitive relics have become. Most of them use a few cliche routines, like heavy fake weather checking, that are overdone and predictable. They're silly visual cliches.

matrix, Obsessed and kbold like this.
  10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I got a Danocaster, pretty heavily reliced. That's cool, because I didn't want a new guitar that I'd have to baby and worry about.

But before I played the one I got, I played another one that did nothing for me playability-wise. But that second one played like an absolute dream, and that's the one that came home with me.

A guitar can look cool, either reliced or pristine. But it's gotta play right or I'm not interested.

- D

11. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I've been increasingly angry that most brick and mortar stores (Kohls, JCP, etc) are CONSTANTLY out of my size Levi's 527 in the darkest blue (indigo black, I think?) But seem to have an endless supply of them for tall people.
    I'm relegated to buying the ones with a slight fade/tint on the "stress points". The reason I buy them is they are closer to what I want that light jeans. I buy the darkest blue, and by like 6 years deep they look medium blue and quite distressed.
    I dont have a guitar equivalent here. My only qualm is when they have some cool color I only find in relic'd variants. My son pointed out one such tele, and i had to concede that it looked like it should be $1200, except for that missing paint...
    But if the price is right on a guitar, I'm normally fine. I wont pay extra for a used guitar to look used, ditto for a new one. But I'll gladly pay less.
    So...
    Why don't faded color jeans cost less?

:(

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

20190427_073209.jpg

Usps relic'd my most recent guitar purchase for me. How considerate....

But 1000+% serious, that first scratch is the hardest. The bite in the picture on the DS was unpleasant. My kids tipping my Mustang and putting a ding on the front of the body sucked. The little nick on my tele headstock still makes me sigh. I bought the toronado with a 4mm ding in the back, but my little e tuning peg is bent at a slight angle from getting knocked over once... who cares about ones I've sold, but my strat is totally wrapped in duct tape, so I don't even remember where the beat up Mark's are on that...

rad1 likes this.
  13. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Wrong? I’m not the one who voted against apple fritters:) Did you ever notice when you go to a donut shop they run out of apple fritters first? And I’ve never heard anyone walk into a donut shop and ask “how many crullers you got?” But I have heard someone ask how many fritters are left because I’m the one who asks it. Excuse me while I go find an all night donut shop and get another fritter as I comb the crumbs from the previous fritter out of my beard. Or keep them in my beard for safe keeping. I haven’t decided yet.

14. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Folk do get their panties in a wad about the subject. Kinda funny but for the willingness to judge others based on their finish choices.

Frodebro and MilwMark like this.
  15. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Good point. If it's not one problem, it's another. Young, irresponsible and no money. Older & with discretionary spending power, but responsible. Oh well...

Pax/
    Dean

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Only in the great white north!
    Mmmmmm..... Timmy Hortons

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  17. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Each to his own, but it just seems like another gimmick that they can charge you extra money for. I don't have money for that, I'll relic my own.

kbold likes this.
  18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Wrong!! You did not relic your Strat. You gave it some genuine, real wear. You didn't fake the damage. It's real. You didn't fake the chip. It's real.

A relic doesn't look like it does from actually being banged and scratched and worn out by its owner.

rad1 and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  19. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I used to not like them.... But now I do.. .. Is that something? o_O;):)

20. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

It means you like guitars...all guitars. Not a bad way to be.

WetBandit and joebloggs13 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.