1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Relic'd Cars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Sep 21, 2020.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Yeah, 1st gear is up and to the right. Nothing is where you’d think it would be based on cars. I still grab 2nd when I want 3rd, or vice-versa, once in awhile. Having to look at the pattern mark in the casting is kind of embarrassing when I’ve been driving it for close to 40 years now.

2. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

20170517_112201.jpg
    20170517_112257.jpg 20170517_112324.jpg

I have this old workhorse. Unfortunately, I don't have funds to even get it running, much less restored, so it sits and rusts.

3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That is what I remember. The manager there loved that old tractor. It always ran and performed well, it was just an odd transmission.

mexicanyella likes this.
  4. wildOGpizza

wildOGpizza TDPRI Member

T1 bus in original paint, a heavy relic - worth a lot more than if it were redone actually.
    [​IMG]

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I had an experience in one of those sitting on the floor passing the pipe. Or does that belong in the experiences you never told anyone about thread?

6. mexicanyella

7. 39martind18

The engine and tranny are from another vehicle. The engine is a 305 (yeah, I know) with supposedly less than 60K miles, and the 4-speed OD automatic (I forget the exact numbers, but RT 400?). They're not currently installed in the truck. Trying to sell the whole lot for around $1600, so, if you know anyone...

8. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

That's a little rustier than I would like. Rust holes are a pain to repair, and I've done a few. That being said, I would still rather have a rusty original car than one that has lousy body and paint work.
    At least you know what you've got, instead of a bondo mystery mobile.
    With the cost of good paint and body work these days, you can't really blame the guys leaving the body with a little "patina". A 10K paint job and a 2k grill re chrome is not in everyone's budget, including mine. Besides, primer rules!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  9. mexicanyella

Now THAT is cool. Love it. I “helped” a guy repaint one of those (in which I accidentally dragged a compressed air hose up the left rear corner while the paint was wet) years ago. Despite that dumbassery, he still took me for a ride in it after it dried and it was neat! Low geared and slow but really spartan and cool. I think it was only about 1,200cc...?

No bad-mouthing of 305s by me, nope. I’ve had two of them, in a ‘77 Blazer and a ‘78 Malibu wagon, and both served me well.

10. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

179.gif

CajunJ likes this.
  11. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

mexicanyella, 61fury and dougstrum like this.
  12. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

My latest derelic'ing project. IMG_20170321_133742002.jpg Got a way to go to~ I don't go for show, just respectable driver quality:cool:

mexicanyella likes this.
  13. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Much like guitar relics, car relics are hit and miss with me. There are individual items I like, but on the whole, not a huge fan.

14. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Watch "Fast and Loud" for the latest in this concept...

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Cars, guitars, bikes, furniture...........anything really, naturally relic’d, i.e. worn, great. Artificially beat up, no thanks

CajunJ likes this.
  16. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

Relicing guitars and cars reminds me of a couple guys in high school who rubbed their football helmets on the road to make it look like they played. Pretty sad.

17. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

I dig the worn patina look if done well, and the underlying vehicle is a qualified "sleeper" with modern upgrades.
    The mismatched fender look, not so much.

I like this. Sun baked, looks right.
    Except the wheels. All wrong.

18. mexicanyella

I want to see a Porsche 914 done up like that.

Hell, I want to see a Porsche 928 done up like that!

I know that would be cool, because this one time at Autozone, a guy who appeared to be a dusty cowboy pulled up in a mostly paintless Mercedes 450 SL with dual exhaust and glass packs. It had a CB whip antenna on it and some big-ass round PIAA lights on the front bumper. It looked like maybe he took it out on the hardpan like the drug dealers in “No Country for Old Men.” Bizarre, but cool...and older MB OHC V8s sound just fine with old-school noisy hotrod exhaust.

I should have talked to that guy to find out what that was all about.

EDIT: The Mercedes 450SL is my wife’s dream car, she wants one to tool around in when she retires, and if she had seen that rat 450SL with the cowboy in it she’d have been horrified. She does not share my affection for beaters.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  19. 39martind18

Well, my son is a motorhead, so anything less than a 350 that isn't a 327 is kinds meh to him. I guess I've been brainwashed.

20. mexicanyella

Well, mine were both little two-barrel smoggers. The one in the Blazer was barely adequate, but reliable. The one in the much lighter Malibu was geared just right and kind of fun.

(The Malibu was followed by a nicer, newer ‘83 Malibu wagon with a Chevy 229 V6. Now THAT was barely adequate; made the older 305 one feel pretty snappy by comparison.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.