1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Relic'd Cars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

Will that ever become a thing? People actually paying more than when the cars were in mint condition.....seems like a good marketing strategy. I think I could make some serious money at this.....

A before and after exmaple....

hqdefault.jpg

2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Aside from trying to add value to cars by relicing—can I say here that I would find that practice to be frown-worthy?—I like seeing beaters out and about, including ones with multiple colored body panels like your top pic. Especially if they seem to run well. It reminds me of cars-in-progress that friends drove back in high school. Bonus points for missing interior door panels, or old-school crackly-sounding dual exhaust with glass packs.

In about 1988, a group of friends and I drove from the St. Louis area to DuQuoin, IL for a weekend at the street machine nationals. It was nuts. I actually drove 5 of us—5!—in my tiny little three-cylinder ‘87 Sprint, but one friend drove along with us in a Pontiac very much like the car in your top pic, with a 455 in it. We parked the Sprint in a field and cruised the strip in his car the first night. It was quite the sleeper.

We had to do actual sleeping in the Sprint, which suuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

The era of carburetors and glass packs: my automotive formative years.

dougstrum and Stanford Guitar like this.
  3. Stanford Guitar

Yeah I like a good rat rod.

Steve Holt and RomanS like this.
  4. mexicanyella

I have a ‘61 Willys CJ-5 with actual lichens growing on the hood and fenders, and a seized engine. My son and I are hoping to revive it whenever he’s home on breaks from college.

This thread is making me think about abandoning the repainting idea and instead learning how best to preserve or even help the lichens spread to other parts of the body.

dougstrum and Stanford Guitar like this.
  5. Stanford Guitar

You'll love this video. These guys are pretty intense in these old Jeeps.

6. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Top gear relicing !

Ed Driscoll and Javier668 like this.
  7. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Will it ever become a thing ?
    It already has been for the last twenty or something years especially on the West coast, California is or was the hotbed for producing period correct hot rods since the mid nineties when the whole terrible 'rat rod' thing exploded. 30's to 50's cars and trucks dragged out of scrap yards, put a new motor in, but DONT TOUCH the paint.....it has PATINA
    Same happened in the design and furniture world, everyone wanted 'shabby chique', old furniture given a terrible spray job in order to make it look old....
    the whole thing with folks wanting stuff like it was BACK IN THE DAY, that term alone has become so overused these days and people wise up and start making **** loads of things for silly money too look like a piece of old garbage, and they sell it for big money because it looks just like it did BACK IN THE DAY ha ha !

Deaf Eddie likes this.
  8. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

For those of you not living the hot rod life. Yes, people will clear coat bare metal/rust. It happens. Painters have perfected a crusty look.

Having said that, one of my favorite things I ever saw was at a Studebaker national meet. Someone entered the 1/24 model contest and instead of building a perfect model, made a Hawk that was derelict, a wheel was placed on the hood, missing a fender, rusted. It was fantastic. I do recall it winning its division.

[​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Good being the operative word; good brakes, good steering, and good welds. Enough ground clearance for speed bumps doesn't hurt:confused:

Mine usually start out as junk, and after 3-5 yrs look and run pretty good. After 5-6 yrs on the road they kinda lose the shine and develope a patina:rolleyes:
    Not relic'd, Not rat~

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Some concepts don’t translate well from one market to another. DIY surgery. Surgery Depot would likely fail.

Ed Driscoll and nojazzhere like this.
  11. 3-Saddle Bridge

3-Saddle Bridge TDPRI Member

1979551_10154120027034015_8132718350157106273_n.jpg

'24 Dodge Brothers, naturally relic'd. (in our family since '32)

radiocaster, imwjl, faulp and 4 others like this.
  12. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Mine are all on their way to a natural relic. I wash my truck every year after hunting season...the other two get it a little more often.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. rexhunta

rexhunta TDPRI Member

Roadkill.

When they relic'd the General Maintenance Hellcat Charger to look like the General Mayhem. I actually liked it !

[​IMG]

14. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Was a time when "Sleepers" were a big thing. Guys would dump a couple of quarts of 50 weight in the engine compartment then make a couple of passes down a dirt road. Then when someone looked under the hood, it looked like no one had touched the engine in a long time. Spark plug cut-outs so it wouldn't sound too good until lined up to race. Lots of tricks to fool the competition.

kingofdogs1950 and dougstrum like this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

When you see movie stars cavorting around in music videos with rusted out hulks, spouting the best tones and collector shows that talk up original patina not made-to-look-better-than-new the industry will turn around.

Too much advertising money floating around to convince buyers they need the latest technology, safety, and bling. Chicks chase the guys with the big new pickup.

Also the insurance industry is there to hammer those dents back out. If the dents became more important "these show real wear!" then the insurance companies would have much lower subscription fees.

Old guitars are important to Fender and Gibson because only they have the rights to the 1950s, if that need vanished then anywhere in the world could be the new premium guitar makers selling high volume and high price.

16. mexicanyella

Here’s a naturally reliced 1950 Ford 8N tractor and brush hog that’s been in continuous use in our family since the late ‘50s. It’s on its third engine, which I installed almost 25 years ago. 460945B9-6C2E-4901-A5A2-D98D2DF6CF8D.jpeg ED8263F2-55E8-420C-8822-FCE0A224D8BE.jpeg 5F090D5B-D1DA-4D88-AE2F-30204067694D.jpeg 9CD9C3CE-54BA-420E-AEFA-E20711994174.jpeg

I wonder if the patina will someday make it more valuable?

But I don’t wonder much. I was there for most of that patina’s accumulation—been driving it since I was a preteen kid—and if a tractor could “fit” like a comfortable pair of old shoes, it would be that one. It’s not going anywhere.

17. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ill take a normal looking great condition car...i dont really want one thats mint as i want to drive it...but i also dont want mismatched painted parts or any non stock parts

JKPickin likes this.
  18. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Hot Rod Lichen?

19. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Silliness in my opinion. Relic guitars are made to look like what the guitar gods played or are still playing in the case of those still with us. Name me a junkyard god and I’ll consider a junkyard car, but don’t put a new motor in it. That’ll halve its value.

I actually own one of those reliced guitars, an FCS ‘69 Stratocaster. It takes skill and talent to relic a guitar in such a way that it doesn’t look like it was dragged behind a truck but it’s still silliness, imo. I’ll give it this. It’s unique in a way a Fieste Red Strat will never be but my wife was taken back when I brought it home from a FCS Road Show event. When I opened the case she asked me, “Were they throwing it out?”

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The 8N. Isn't that the one where the transmission goes right to left, rather that left to right? We had one of those on the grounds crew I worked on in college. I always had to think about there the gear I wanted would be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.