Relic-real rust?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by frenchy51, Mar 9, 2015.

1. frenchy51

frenchy51 Tele-Meister

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a CS '61 Relic. Could someone tell me if the "rust" (bridge, tuners, etc.) is real rust or is it some type of coating? Can it be toned down or removed? I like the relic look to the body but I hate rust....Thanks in advance

2. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

on the ones ive seen and own its real rust - not something that bothers me at all though

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I always clean and oil my hardware. Don't want it to keep rusting.

4. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

I've got a cs 61 relic and its real rust or an incredibly good faking. It's not my favourite feature, but it would look odd if it was shiny I guess.

5. 1hoofer

1hoofer Tele-Meister

I got the custom shop to put 1950s rust on my 53 relic.

6. frenchy51

frenchy51 Tele-Meister

So they have a stock pile of vintage rust-cool....(-;

7. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It's rust all right and I've had to swap out fused parts in the past which is either moronic or ironic I can't decide which :p Faux aging is one thing but non functioning parts are quite another and while it might be related to the salty air in my part of the world more likely the guitars came from FCS like that.

In my worst case I ended up having to source new (fake aged) saddles because the ones on the CS Tele weren't coming away from the intonation screws in a month of sundays. Spraying Plus Gas achieved little and I couldn't very well soak them in contact cleaner or whatever without including the entire bridge plate as well.

After several such episodes I started checking guitars in the shop (before buying) and afterwords removed most of the screws before lubricating them and applying Kurust to the visible parts (preferring black aged to red rust aged).

More recently I realised how pointless the whole exercise was and stopped buying relics altogether -but that's probably a different story :lol::lol:

8. Redline Redneck

Redline Redneck Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Always keep saddle screws lubricated. If aged, put a drop of Liquid Wrench or some such penetrating agent on each screw. Let sit overnight before loosening and un-assembling. Coat with oil before reassembling.

Never use WD-40 for this. It is not a lubricant. It's a moisture displacer. Short life.

The aging process from the Custom Shop make the saddles look great, but the process initiates oxidation at a rapid rate. If it's not halted within a couple months, things get a bit rough. Some bridge screws will seize even though Mike Eldred claimed it would not occur on a CS guitar. I've lived through it and learned.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.