1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Relic Dark lines or area in front and behind frets on maple fingbrds

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by frets, Jan 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

If you are trying to make the typical grey weathered/dirty maple stain (also used for fake driftwood, barnboard etc)/

You make it with steel wool and vinegar.

2. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

I think the look cs is going for is grime next to the fret which is not easily cleaned(it looks like they burned it in so it won't come off) try some dark furniture wax(or shoe polish)applied to the fretboard making sure to get it next to the fret,then lightly rub off. This may give you that look but is also reversible

3. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Don't you need to have some tannins in the wood for that method to work? So if it isn't oak, you might add some tea first then let the iron oxide react with that? [I've never tried it on maple].

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you're using a wire-brush or other Dremel attachment to make the fingernail marks by removing the lacquer, wouldn't that also work to remove the finish near the fret? possibly with a fret-guard to minimize how far out it extends? Then discolor it the same way as the nail marks. just thinking out loud. problem there is you're removing finish instead of simulating buildup - so I'm starting to like the air-brush idea and whatever you apply you can strip it back if you don't like it.

5. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Breaking news: Thread on how to relic quickly turns into anti relic thread.

shiznatic likes this.
  6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Use some 150 grit sandpaper and use the tip of your finger to make those wear spots. Use some WD40 with a little rag and wipe on. It will slowly darken. I also did a brown shoe polish that I mixed into the WD40 to speed up the process.
    Remember you are only removing the top coat. Don’t gouge the fretboard.

7. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

not saying to use steel wool on the neck. I make a barnboard stain for frames for my artwork by soaking steel wool in a jar of vinegar you end up with a stain for the wood.

I've also used W&N oil paint, carbon black +paynes grey and turpetine to make a barboard/driftwood stain.

Disclaimer: I have only ever built one mildy reliced guitar and did not relic the neck. I figured the guy would be happy with my lightly shellacked neck as he plays it for hours daily.It now looks just right.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Moisture, cleaning compounds, solvents and decades of other schmutz can soak into the bare wood in the fret slots and stain adjacent areas. Depending on the player/owner(s) there may be none or an instrument can look like the example - or worse.

I've worked on dozens of 50's Teles and Strats and it's very common.

9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

On an old guitar that's been refretted, then those dark lines next to the fret could be dirt picked up by the maple 'cause the finish there was pulled up when pulling the old frets.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

That part's not wear, that's grunge. Rub boogers and sweat and mouse turds in there.

Badger06 likes this.
  11. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

Jesus! the guy asks a simple question and there come the outpour of unsolicited opinions. Either you know how to do it or you don't. I happen to love relics and that grime along the frets in particular, I asked my luthier and guitar builder Joe Jesselli and he said that is usually accomplished by lightly staining the bare wood around the frets and then clear coating over. I tried different methods on different necks without any success prior to that.

12. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. What the OP is asking about is call "fret ghosting" by the Custom Shop. Yes, it's to make the fretboard look old like years of built up grime. It's not well documented, like other things you might find on the Floor Traveler. I have yet to find anyone who can explain to me what a "George Blanda perimiter [sic]" is.

13. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I’ve done what the OP is looking for, probably a little late now though. I take dark brown kiwi shoe polish and rub it on the fret board and quickly wipe it off leaving the built up junk along the fret. This will give you the amber stain line along the fret.

Then take black kiwi shoe polish and do the same thing, but leave a bit along the fret and it will harden like dirt. Looks pretty much like my custom shop Nocaster I had at the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.