Relapse-almost a year clean

Galen1960

TDPRI Member
This was the year I’d told my wife of. The mythical year I had spoke of for so many years. The year I wouldn’t buy a guitar.
Damn I was close.
Came home today to a Guitar Center mailer that had a 70’s CV thinline that ticked many a box of mine.
Wife was very understanding. There’s always next year. Till there ain’t.
Relapse can often be part of the recovery process for many, you just have to keep trying and not beat yourself up about it. Enjoy the Thinline.

BerkshireDuncan

Tele-Holic
I can't try out a guitar for 15 minutes in a store and know if it's 'the one'.. and in these modern times of the internet and home delivery- browsing, GASing, buying, trying.. and flipping those that don't make the cut works for me.

Don't beat yourself up- you're amongst friends here :)

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I just buy what I want, keep what I like, and sell or trade away what I don’t bond with.
I do it for fun.
After all these years, it’s still fun.
Luckily, no one cares what I buy, and the only limiting factor is my cash flow.
Lately, it’s all been good, and I have a great, useful collection.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
This was the year I’d told my wife of. The mythical year I had spoke of for so many years. The year I wouldn’t buy a guitar.
Damn I was close.
Came home today to a Guitar Center mailer that had a 70’s CV thinline that ticked many a box of mine.
Wife was very understanding. There’s always next year. Till there ain’t.

An important mechanism for avoiding relapse is to identify and then avoid triggers. So in your case, for instance, you could avoid opening any thread that contains "NGD" or "NAD." Toadtele, you have to learn to love yourself.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I did buy a guitar this year. However, that is an outlier year for me, not the norm. My approximate guitar history:
  • 1977: 1970 or so Harmony H0801 with an added single coil in bridge. Given away a few years later.
  • 1979: 1976 or so Ibanez law suit copy of a Gibson L6S. Sold in 1987.
  • 1983: 1974 or so Fender Stratocaster - badly cracked poly, natural finish. Sold in 1986.
  • 1988: 1988 Kramer ZX30H. My first new guitar. Sold in 1992.
  • 1992: 1992 Celebrity by Ovation Acoustic. I still have this.
  • 1994: 1994 Fender SRV signature Stratocaster, a gift from my wife. I still have this.
  • January, 2015: 2013 Fender Baja Telecaster. I still have this, but looking to sell it.
  • October, 2021: Fender American Professional II Telecaster. I still have this and plan on keeping it.
So, in the last 6 years, I purchased two guitars. In the last 30, I have purchased 4. 8 in the last 45 years. That makes one guitar every 5 or 6 years. This seems sustainable to me. :lol::lol::lol:

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
I was pretty much GAS free this year, and proud of it, until about 6 weeks ago. I've managed to sell more than $1k of stuff on Reverb in short order and another guitar and amp are on consignment to help offset it. In fact it will probably completely offset it if everything sells. But I did buy a fair amount of stuff. A couple of the items, a keyboard and bass, I'd been thinking about for awhile. That Reverend guitar (which is really quite nice) jumped out at me from nowhere, your honor...

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Haha , I actually thought was of a more serious nature … so all is good with us guitar junkies . There are worse things to spend your hard earned money on

7213a8e1b906bd595c680c5df60933ad56fba5d9a49e08f64f3360eb98745415_1.jpg

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
My GAS has slowed down considerably over the years, and there’s only one or two pieces I’d like to acquire if given the chance—and most of them are either upgrades of “lesser” instruments I already own (a better resonator to replace my good-but-not-great Dean Chrome G, a better Flying V to replace my Dean VX, etc) or a type of instrument I don’t own (6-string Bass or Baritone, 12-string electric, etc).

I’ve also assembled the parts for a partscaster, which will be a hybrid of a Les Paul Junior and an Esquire.

I am also thinking about a slightly smaller amp—my Vibroverb is not huge and sounds good at lower volumes, but sometimes it’s be nice to pick up something with some built-in overdrive and without the extra little grunt from my surgically-repaired neck and shoulder…Fender Excelsior and Supro Delta 10 are both in the running.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
72 P bass 001.jpg
I haven’t bought a guitar since September. But I did trade for a very nice bass a few weeks ago, and have bought three pedals in the last week. I also bought an amp in October… and one in September… and some other pedals. And a new board and power supply. And some new PA speakers. And an amazing bass head. And three cabs. And some sweet new cables. And more stuff I’m forgetting right now.

Ok, I can admit this year has been a hot mess of gear buying. But I do have some really nice stuff as a result of it. My goal is to buy zero gear in 2022 except for strings. 2023 I turn 50 and I’m gonna be grabbing a couple really choice pieces. Gotta save up a little. Ok, a lot.

Hey Jake, can you tell us what kind of bass head you mentioned above? A few years back I swapped a really nice mandolin for a '72 P Bass. Picked up a freebie Crate practice bass amp but would like to buy something nice (1 and done). I don't fancy myself a good bass player but would like something decent. Pic is just for the heck of it.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I haven't bought myself a guitar in years and years

I've built my last two from scratch and that took a long time

Bought my daughter a bass last Christmas, does that count?

tcadam

Tele-Afflicted
I bought my first guitar since 2007 this year. My wife really kind of made me do it by being supportive and all.

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
I only buy guitars, amps, or other gear for purposes of playing someplace.

These days the only playing I do is in the living room, although i do sometimes do some "studio" work and send somebody the harmonica track to add to what they sent me.

So the only thing I could justify buying is a new harmonica mic. Hey, there's an idea!