Reissue Thermometer or Poodle Case for Vintage Blackguard Tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by treyrab, Jun 27, 2019.

1. treyrab

treyrab TDPRI Member

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on where I can buy a tweed (reissue) Thermometer or Poodle case. I have a vintage '52 Tele and would like to preserve the (rather fragile) vintage case.

I know that Fender sold some of these with Nocaster Reissues. I'd love one of these (if anyone has one for sale). Many thanks!

[​IMG]

2. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

3. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

4. treyrab

treyrab TDPRI Member

I tried one of these a few weeks ago. It looked OK, but felt cheap and didn't feel secure to carry around a vintage guitar :)

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Most guitar manufacturers don't produce their own cases, so if you broaden your search beyond Fender specifically you'll probably find something that you like.

6. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

Yes fair call - they're definitely on the cheap side. I only use mine for short trips in the car, and it's ok for that. Keen to see what else gets suggested here though, as I'd eventually like to get something better as well.

EDIT - sorry thought you were replying about the Fender case!

7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

There’s a seller on reverb that sells legitimate fender thermometer cases with the fender badge on them , just search thermometer case, I don’t know the original 50s cases but they have very little padding, very sturdy though

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

What does that mean?

ecoast likes this.
  9. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

I have a Fender reissue case that came with my Nocaster . What he means is they don't fit the guitar well and do not latch shut securely. This is probably why Fender shipped Nocasters with the thermometer case and an SKB style hard case. I don't even feel secure carrying my Nocaster in it and it (the Nocaster) is pretty beat . There is no way I would carry an original Blackguard in one of the reissue cases like I have

10. treyrab

treyrab TDPRI Member

It means it felt cheap and wasn't secure. Said differently, the materials felt poorly made, the padding was thin, and the latches did not clasp tightly.....not something I'd risk with a vintage Blackguard.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would not want to have any case that draws attention to what is inside.

If I had a real 1952 telecaster I would carry it around in a rectangular thermoplastic case or one of those form fit thermoplastic Fender cases.

Anything to make it look like I had any old MIM telecaster inside.

Use the vintage case for home use .

12. treyrab

treyrab TDPRI Member

This is a really good suggestion (for taking the guitar out of the house).

Even inside my house though, I'd like to avoid carrying the original case. They are pretty fragile. I'd like a nice Re-Issue thermometer or poodle case (that looks semi-authentic) for house storage, to preserve the original and keep it in good condition.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a Rondo. It fits my AV ‘52 like a glove. The latches are secure. Well padded. I’ve taken it to shows all over town. Rested amps and other guitars on it in vans and green rooms. I can’t imagine what more anyone would need to move a guitar from room to room in the house. But YMMV.

14. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

There was a fella a while back on here who builds replica cases here is the link to his website i think they are a bit too expensive but anyway here you go

http://toschcase.com/über.html

15. treyrab

treyrab TDPRI Member

Glad yours is nice, but my Rondo was not as well constructed (especially the latches....they barely clasped). Even though it is just in the house (hardwood floors), I can't risk a '52 Tele falling out of the case onto hardwood o_O

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  16. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

I think the Fender one I posted earlier would do the trick for around the house.

I wouldn’t tour with it, but the one I have is ok quality and the latches seem fine so far.

PeterUK likes this.
  17. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Meister

If I had a real 1952 tele, it's probably not leaving the house much, if ever. That's what reissues are for.

18. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’ve got one of the Fender repro ones and it’s not a giggable case. It’s fragile, it’s horribly unbalanced and any Tele or Strat guitar flops around in it.

On the plus side it looks great and is a perfect case for home storage.

It’s home to one of my projects at the moment but it’s never leaving the house ‘on business’.

:) Peter

Attached Files:

19. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Try one of the standard rectangular tweed-covered wood cases used by Fender HERE .

I had my '70s Les Paul in a Japanese Ibanez case for years until I tracked down a proper, like-new Gibson case. It is still in the Ibanez case because period Gibson cases were pretty light-duty.

Bob

20. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

I’ve ended up with one of those as well (to put with a guitar I’m selling).

Again - ok for around the house storage, but maybe not much more than that. My ‘59 esquire sure looks pretty sitting in it though!

[​IMG]

Skamania likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.