1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

reissue tele pickup w/ white rope around windings?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bryan kirkman, Oct 22, 2020.

1. bryan kirkman

bryan kirkman TDPRI Member

Don't remember when 60's reissue 1st came out,but does anybody know of a pickup USA,MIJ, MIM that had white rope around windings.Measures about 6.8k and has brass bottom plate. IMG_0242.JPG

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

The 62 custom that came in the 2000's USA reissues of the double bound customs have white rope, but unlike that pic the magnets are beveled and unlike the spec you quoted they are very close to 6k. I've owned 3 or 4 of them and I have never seen any of the DCR spec on them read above 6.4k regardless of temp or anything. I heard they changed them at some point but i don't know if that true or when or how. Some say they were A3 at some point but they are A2 since i've been using them starting in about 2010-2012. All of mine had white rope.

archetype likes this.
  3. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

is that Fender made as they typically use black and yellow leads for the bridge pickup ?

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

They used white for the hot lead on the older 62 customs i have but a recent one i got was yellow. So there's at least one example where they used white. I also have some fender strat pups with white leads and one set where the middle is yellow. Not sure but i think they use yellow to designate RWRP winds. I have a 57/62 strat set that are all wound the same and all have white leads for the hot, then i have a set of fat 50s where the middle is RWRP and has a yellow lead while the bridge and neck use white.

5. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

The CS Texas Special and Deluxe Drive have white rope. There are probably a few more that do too. But as previously said, the bridge pickups usually have a yellow wire, not white.

What leads you to believe it is a Fender pickup?

6. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

The mid 2000s MIM 72 Custom had a white-rope wrapped bridge pickup, and I imagine it was not unique to that model, at that time.

8. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

yellow, white, red, brown and black cloth covered pickup lead wires were used by fender ('50-'65) and pretty much so when CBS took over ('65) thru '68. all tele/esquire bridge pickups use white string around their coils, not black. blackened string occurred because particular pickups were potted in wax dyed black. you can tell this because the leads were blackened a few inches past the bobbin and then the cloth wire colors appeared. however, some were potted in clear lacquer, semi-clear sanding sealer, paraffin wax, beeswax, and blends of these waxes.

9. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Yeah, ive had a couple of teles that looked exactly like that. A ‘65 and ‘71, I think.

10. bryan kirkman

11. bryan kirkman

I didn't know what they were, i took them out of a partscaster that wasn't Fender i found in a pawn shop

12. bryan kirkman

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.