Reissue Fender Bassman review

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ZackyDog, Jan 21, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Here

To take with a grain/big lump of salt.

[​IMG]

I remember playing a ltd edition model in 2007 that really impressed me.

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  2. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I bought the first RI Bassman my local music store got in back in the '90s. It was a great amp for the ten years I owned it. It didn't have the warmth of a real Bassman or the Clark Piedmont (Bassman clone) I have now no matter what speakers swapped or tubes changed. However, it was louder and more powerful.

rjtwangs and ZackyDog like this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I may still have the "shoot-out" Guitar Player article from 1990, where they compared the then "new" Fender resiusse bassman, A THD Bassman and a Weber Bassman.

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  4. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I have two cases of the Quam speakers used in the THDs in the attic that I bought from Andy, could sell a set or two. I've never played through any of Gerald Webber's amps, the THD I played through was kind of gainy and I was using these as harp amps. I think I may have that magazine as well in the attic.

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Did you use a solid state, or the 5AR4 tube rectifier?

6. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Funny, I swapped out two of my Jensen P10r's for two (broken in) Eminence 1028alks and my '59 Ri sounded just like the real '59 I tried last year. It also cut that brittle top end and tightened up the bass nicely.

The review @ZackyDog posted seems like it was of a new one... No matter what, those Jensen Speakers need a good beating before they break in. But, even after that, the treble can be a touch harsh. I've contemplated maybe swapping in some Celestions for the other two Jensens... But, just haven't been that motivated.

I have compared mine to my '58 Twin and it compares nicely. They are more alike than different... the big differences are the iron and speaker compliment, of course. And, as I said, I compared it to a real '59.

Other than building a nice lightweight pine cabinet, I have no real interest in futzing with it.

ZackyDog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.